• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My build-up progress pics from today:

Avanteone

NAXJA Forum User
Many of you know I sold my axles to Matt... I wanted to re-gear and make a couple of SMALL changes anyway, and he was due for an upgrade. I wanted to go to 5.13 gears, do the Super 8.8 kit, go full hi-steer, etc. I've been working on getting my rig back together but we've been VERY busy at the shop the past few weeks and I haven't had much of a chance to work on it. I've had my axles sitting on the shop floor for two weeks and have finally made some progress! I'll post up some pics later, but the rear axle is completed and in /w new Detroit Locker, 5.13 gears, Superior Gear & Axle Super 8.8 kit (which, BTW, I am VERY impressed with) Then we started on cleaning up the fr. "frame" rail and installing the unibody bracing that I had cut a few weeks back. Thanks to John H for all the help today! Fr. axle housing is complete /w gears and Detroit already and awaiting brackets and then assembly of the axle shafts, brakes, hubs, etc. Just thought I'd post an update....

John

Some progress pics from today:

8.8 /w shafts removed. Stock caliper brackets, etc:
super88-1.jpg

End of tube after removing bracket:
super88-2.jpg

End of axle tube after cutting/grinding flush as per instructions:
super88-3.jpg

Bearing retainer/spacer being pulled into place. These are VERY nicely done pieces and fit flawlessly:
super88-4.jpg

super88-5.jpg

super88-7.jpg

super88-8.jpg

I didn't take any pics of assembling the shafts themselves, but standard 9" Ford, D44, non c-clip press-on bearing style. Here they are installed:
super88-6.jpg

super88-9.jpg

And completed:
super88-10.jpg

super88-11.jpg

And we got started on the front uni-body strengthening. I have several sets of these laser-cut plates available in case anybody else is interested.
Here's some pics of the left side install:

Prep work:
unibody-1.jpg

unibody-2.jpg

Tacked in place:
unibody-3.jpg

Welding:
unibody-4.jpg

unibody-5.jpg

unibody-6.jpg

MORE TO COME SOON!

J

Looks good John. No problems with rotor/caliper spacing or anything else? It looks like a nice kit.

Interested in the "frame" plates. I'll PM you.

Last edited:
Megawatt said:
Looks good John. No problems with rotor/caliper spacing or anything else? It looks like a nice kit.

Interested in the "frame" plates. All PM you.

No fitment or clearance issues anywhere. The kit fit absolutely flawlessly and I am impressed /w the quality and engineering that has gone into it. I will be writing up a more detailed installation at some point but it really is very simple and can be done in approx. 2-2.5 hours.

J

ya i am interested in the frame plates as well - did you make a template and then cut them out? what gauge or thickness are they? thanks.

aparke4 said:
ya i am interested in the frame plates as well - did you make a template and then cut them out? what gauge or thickness are they? thanks.

They're 1/8". They were laser cut to match the shape of the frame rail from just behind the steering box down to the lower control arm mount.

J

aparke4 said:
did the track bar mount install ok? i am guessing 1/8 is not think enough to alter the mounting... thanks
I took off the RE trackbar bracket and with the slotted holes, it shouldn't be a problem. Just a corresponding adjustment to the trackbar length is all that's needed, if John even notices the difference.

Looks good John, i look forward to wheeling with you.
Hopefully both our rigs will be good for Liberty, if your going.
Wish i could join you in Moab.

Thanks again for all your help with mine.

Sean

IXNAYXJ said:
HP Dana 44 lifespan:

Avanteone: 2.5 years.

IXNAYXJ: 2.5 wheeling trips.

:rattle:

-----Matt-----
You have GOT to be kidding me?!?!?!? :confused1

Guess not since I just got off the phone with you. Sucks since I was hoping to drag you out somewhere this weekend and test out my new 4.56/Detroit setup.

Bummer dude :tears:

- Jay

Peterson's 4wheel did a write up on how much they loved the super 8.8 Superior kit about a year ago. If I end up breaking my 44 I'm going that route. At print a year ago they were only $560 bucks.

Back