• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ LED Tailight help ( I searched)

97XJ_Sport

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished it up ( I though) the pass side isn't getting any power while the drivers side does( probley due to them running in series possibly, I'm using 2 trailer wire converters one on each side, also I noticed the brake lights are not working either, I know I'm missing somthing simple but if you could point it out to me that would be awsome, Thanks.

Well scratch that, i'm stupid, the right tailight was not plugged in all the way, duh. But My brake lights are still not working. So if anyone has any info on that please help.

Just check all your wires and make sure they're connected properly. Also check your grounds, Grounds for the lights and grounds for your relays.

I had to use an electric flasher relay to make my blinkers flash.

make sure you've got the ground and positive wires going to the anode and cathode properly. Light bulbs work as long as there's current, LED's have to have the current flowing the proper direction.

im running two converters, but i also tried to run the trailer plug off it, and if i had the right blinker wire hooked up it got all funky. so i just run my trailer with brake,left turn, and parking lights. and that way the jeeps stay fully functional.

Here's a diagram I drew, I know it's very sophisticated so be patient:confused1 Sorry I was posting as my Brother(97XJ Sport) awhile ago.

I'm worried that I hooked it all up backwards since the actual converter isn't labled trailer side or car side. But this is how I have it hooked up at the moment, and just the opposite for the pass side.
37.jpg

Last edited:
just curious did you use completely differant taillights or just bulbs im askin because i replaced all my bulbs with leds and didnt use any converters all i had to do was change the flasher?

Looks like you're using the converter to add the blinkers to the stop/tail lights. Curious why you'd use two converters as opposed to one converter and the correct pigtails to both lights. There's a reason there's a left and right on one converter, you should be able to hook it up to the stock harness and connect both pos and neg wires for the stop/tail lights to the one output from the converter.

If you have separate turn signals like the original taillights did, I'd ask the same question, why not just wire it in to the factory harness and use an electronic flasher?

I switched to boxed tailights and using a 4in LED's

I got a tip on here that if you use a converter for each side it makes things alot cleaner and easier(which make sense and should work). Also I'm using a single light for Stop/Turn/Tail, thats why I'm using the converter. Right now my Parking lights work and blinkers, just no brake lights. I'm sorry I should have been more specific.

Also as you can see, on the Converter on the trailer side there is no stop slection so I assumed it needed to be with the trailer side. I suppose I could bypass the converter completley for the Brake light, correct?

But for those who arn't understanding, just like this setup.
P9170311.jpg

Last edited:
The converter should be labeled just like your diagram, i.e. stop/turn signal. When the turn signal is on, the converter takes that separate input for the turn signal and transmits it through that stop turn output to the light. When you have the brakes on in addition to a turn signal, it turns one brake light on and one turn signal on.

The only thing I could think of is you have only the turn signal lights wired to the converter inputs, so that's all you get on the output side. When I wired my wife's car for a trailer harness (separate turn signals like an XJ), you had to have all the inputs wired in correctly to get the trailer lights to work.

It's difficult to troubleshoot that type of installation without seeing what was done. I still think that wiring one converter in with a new harness to the passenger side would be a simpler installation instead of trying to bastardize the original harness.

But if you notice the converter does not have a spot for the stop light, just tails which is just the parking/running lights. I'm getting power from the Brake lights into the converter, just not out of it :/

Also this is a Hoppy/Hopkins Converter. Also Just so you guys understand the way I have the diagram drawn is the way I have it wired.

Last edited:
Mosephus said:
Here's a diagram I drew, I know it's very sophisticated so be patient:confused1 Sorry I was posting as my Brother(97XJ Sport) awhile ago.

I'm worried that I hooked it all up backwards since the actual converter isn't labled trailer side or car side. But this is how I have it hooked up at the moment, and just the opposite for the pass side.
37.jpg

Because you're turning your brakelights into turn signals, there isn't going to be a separate wire for brake lights on the output side. When you apply the brakes, the converter sends a left turn and right turn signal to the lights to light them up for the brake lights. If you just have the parking/running lights on, it sends a lower voltage signal from the tail light wire. If you have them hooked up the way you say you do, you have to have a ground issue or a wiring issue with your connections. Otherwise they should work.

You should test the wires on the output side of the converter to see if you're getting the right electrical signal at the right time, i.e. step on the brakes, check both turn signal wires for voltage, turn on a turn signal, check that wire for voltage on and off, turn on the parking lights, check the tail light wire for low voltage. You can troubleshoot better if you know the converter is working the way it's supposed to. If it's not, you have a problem from the jeep to the converter. If it is, you have a problem from the converter to the lights.

P9170311.jpg

Did you costom make these?

i was just about to run out and get the supplies for a design i came up with when i saw this one. i acutaly came in here today to post a question about the wireing.

anyways if you made them are you willing to tell me what you did?

I didn't make those, i just put up a pic off www.fullsizexjgear.com's site, i used rusty's offroad, all in all I have had a crappy experince with them but here are some pics of the lights.

79100.jpg

79101.jpg

79102.jpg

Back