• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why screw up a good thing?

LABMBA87

NAXJA Forum User
My 94 XJ 4.0 has 150k on it. There are no exhaust, engine, or drivetrain mods. Is there anything worth doing to my jeep as it is my DD and sees the trail about 4 times a month. It has a RE 4.5 with 31x10.50 15's. Any ideas or should I leave it as is? Just curious.

I get that, but what about performance stuff. Induction, tb spacer, mod's like that? I seem to be having a problem with my XJ getting hot, but I swapped out my radiator, but still gets hot. I'm not sure if it is my temp sensor, or something else. Would a bigger radiator solve this, or what? I also bypassed the in-radiator trans cooler and just used the cooler in front of the radiator. Also, just switched my t-stat and it still gets hot. I'm just wondering if any other mods will reduce my temp and increase my 14 mpg?:geek:

when does it get hot....highway, idle, crawling?????
You probably need a new clutch fan.
Do you have a shroud on the belt driven fan? If not, get one.--dealer item about $30

PaulJ said:
An egg between your foot and the gas pedal will improve your gas mileage.

Gawd I have not heard that since the 1970's oil embargo in a car & driver mag article!:laugh:

As to the heat problem.........when was the last cooling system flush. That sure helped mine last summer. Just a suggestion!

What temp do you call overheat? Is it blowing fluids out the overflow? You have some big tires and have not regeared? This can contribute to over heating.

==========================
but I swapped out my radiator,
=========================
Is the replacement rad a new one or used? A used rad may not be any better then the old one. That's assuming the old rad was bad or was contributing to the overheating.
Did you change the T-stat at the same time? It's a good idea in my book.
Flush the hell out of her including the heater core.
It's a 94 so it a open system but even open systems need to be burped. It's just a lot easer on open systems and if you have good heat inside your good to go here. Is the belt tight?
VERY last thing would be the water pump they do go bad.
Ho yes is she blowing steam out the tail pipe after a GOOD warm up. IF so I would run a compression check. luck

It all started the last time I went wheeling. On a hill started to get hot. got off the hill and let it sit. Ever since then, It's been sitting at 220-230 all the time. As soon as I turn my heater on, the temp drops. Fan Shroud broke upon install of rad. ordered new one as I work at a dealership. T-stat did get changed. Flushed the heater core when I did the rad swap. Just stumped. How do I fix it? Like I said, what are the chances it's the temp sensor?:bawl:

Mine has been a notorious hot runner from day one. I swapped in a new OEM rad and water pump about 50K ago, that helped for awhile. Swapped out the fan clutch about a year ago, helped a bit as well. I've got a three core rad I ordered through DPG offroad sitting in the garage, it's going in sometime in the next few weeks, along with a Flowcooler water pump. I've also got hood vents in my plans, do a search on here and you'll find plenty of info there. I'm going to have all of this done by June, I don't want to repeat last Summer's nightmare of having to run the heater when the outside temp gets over 80.

Yeah, that's my concern as well. I'm just baffled by this damn beast. I will start with a fan shroud and a fan clutch to see if that's something worth while.

Make sure your lower hose has the large spring inside to keep it from collapsing and reducing coolant flow.

LABMBA87 said:
I get that, but what about performance stuff. Induction, tb spacer, mod's like that? I seem to be having a problem with my XJ getting hot, but I swapped out my radiator, but still gets hot. I'm not sure if it is my temp sensor, or something else. Would a bigger radiator solve this, or what? I also bypassed the in-radiator trans cooler and just used the cooler in front of the radiator. Also, just switched my t-stat and it still gets hot. I'm just wondering if any other mods will reduce my temp and increase my 14 mpg?:geek:

Your best mod for performance and gas mileage would be a set of 4.10 axle gears. Your stock 3.55's are robbing you of performance and you're having to step harder on the gas to accelerate.
When does your engine run hot? At slow speeds/standstill, at highway speeds, or both? If you tell me which applies to you, this will help narrow down the list of possible causes.

It runs hot all the time. I'm thinking the sensor is the culprit as nothing seems to be attributing to the over heating and if it has, I have replaced or fixed it?

One possible upgrade to consider for MPG, HP and help for your hot rad woes could be to install a Taurus electrical fan. GoJeep has a sweet write-up on his site, and lots of other folks have done it as well.

:)

well,for the original question:why screw up a good thing? well,my motto is: if it isn't broke,fix it until it is!!:) but if you are happy with things,leave them alone.

LABMBA87 said:
It runs hot all the time. I'm thinking the sensor is the culprit as nothing seems to be attributing to the over heating and if it has, I have replaced or fixed it?

You could try replacing the gauge sending unit and see if that helps. At worst you'll have a good spare sending unit and a gauge that still reads high.
You might wanna check that the lower radiator hose isn't collapsing under suction from the water pump. The water pump itself could also be well past its best.

Back