• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not starting XJ

JIMBOJAMES

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this is an on going problem. My 1996 XJ will not start. This is not a simple CPS solution because it has been changed. The thing has not started in 3 weeks. Since I got sick of it and went a bought a 05 F-350 as a tow rig and DD I have big plans for the cherokee but I need to get it running first.

Now when I try to start it just turns over and over. It is getting fuel but it is not getting spark. It has new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. It also has a brand new ignition coil. OK guys I have been stumped. Any thoughts.

i have the same problem, a 96 SE that i have replaced teh coil and the CPS and the plugs and still nothing. it will crank and crank and crank all day long, but it will not start. any help would be much appreciated.

Well I am not a noob at this cherokee thing since I have had my XJ done up for a while. I have read the FAQS several times. It seems to be more detailed than that.

Changing sensors don't mean shit if the connector/wiring is bad. I've seen 100's of CPS replaced when all that's really wrong is the connector/wiring. Of course the work of changing the sensor often brings the connection/wiring back to life for a short time only to fail again and begin the cycle of shotgun troubleshooting all over again.

Hell, can't you pull codes from a '96? Have you reset ECU?

I would pull the codes but the battery was disconnected when we changed the coil. I will look into the loose wires. This Jeep is making my hair turn gray.

Back