• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blow buy

Just experienced this problem and for us it was:
The valve cover has to breathers (i dont know the proper language) one on the front and one towards the rear of the valve cover. The one on the back plugged up and the one on the front cant handle all the blow by (which there is always some) and oil makes it into the breather box. The problem is that the assembly is built into the valve cover (atleast on the older models which ours was) We chose to remove the rubber gromet which was tough because it had been there for 20 years and it was closed up. I took a file (which probably isnt the right way) and opened it back up some. The vacuum of the vehilce is affected so i chose not to go crazy on opening it up. This completely fixed our problem. I had found this info on the internet so it wasnt just my thought.

hope this helps and i am not a pro i just happen to have experienced this problem on a 1987 cherokee

its a 90 and i put the motor in last august took the valve cover off cleaned all of it including those pieces but will check it out

A 17 year old motor. If you didn't have a lot of blowby I would be very surprised. Re check your tubs. Then do a search. This has been done to death.

WOW!! Not blowby!! On a Jeep? Really? HUH
:D

I will try to find it but it was a month or two ago so ?? I can say it was before i found NAXJA so it was outside of this

I will look tonight

:geek:

What i do remember is that we first made sure the black tube was clear. We then pried the rubber gromet out and inside of all that was a mess. We cleaned it the best we could but they said you sometimes had to replace the valve cover because it was built in. Ours appeared built in yet it seemed to only be made up of a metal flap. Our problem was the rubber grommet just like they said it usually was was all closed off. That is what i cleaned and it fixed the problem.
Hopefully some one that knows what they are talking about will add on to what i am attempting to say.

This will take care of you blowby issue. I did this to mine and no more oil in the air filter. Take this to the dealership and give them the part numbers. I think it costed me right at $40.00.

Hey thanks, I did a little test to see if the small tube was plugged. It's definately the problem. Gonna go to NAPA tomorrow and get it replaced. Anyone know the part no# for the small vacuum hose? Can I even get it there? Or do I have to go to the dealer and get reemed?

Thanks,
Art-

info:89 xj pioneer 4.0 auto

Back