• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chrysler 8 1/4 rear ends?????

what year? 97 and up are the stronger 29 spline while years down are 27 spline.29 spline is a good strong axle and if you have an open diff and not an lsd, powertrax makes a spider gear replacement locker called the no slip. as compared to a dana 44 it is slightly weaker and it is a c-clip axle, which means if you should break a shaft there is nothing to keep the shaft and wheel from rolling out of the tube. is it a good axle? yup as long as you keep your tire size reasonable. another drawback is that the deepest gears they make for it are 4.56's if you had a 44 in the rear 4.88's would be your deepest, then limited by the front dana 30

There were 2 versions of the 8.25 in XJ's. One is a 27 spline and the other is 31 spline. The 29 spline is the better of the two. There are lunchbox lockers available for he 8.25's. What year is your XJ?

What year is your Jeep? 96- 8.25s are 27-spline, while 97+ (a few 96s are too, I think) are 29 spline. Either one is better than a D35, but (in my opinion; granted it's not the most knowledgeable one) neither is as good as a D44. The 8.25 has a lowest gear of 4.56, it's a c-clip axle, and unless you shave it, the bottom of the housing will get caught on everything.

If you're going to run appropriate-sized tires, though (see Crash's Axles for Rocks thread), you should be fine.

EDIT: Wow, I'm a slow typist.

jeepmedicNB, I know you're new to the forum, so I'll cut you some slack, but you need to wait more than five minutes before saying something like "Come on, you must have an opinion?". That's the kind of thing you should say after a day or two, not after five minutes at a time when a large part of the board's population is asleep (almost midnight here in the East).

ya, my xj is a 97 with a 5 speed. It has 3 " lift and 31" tires. So it has the 29 spline. No LSD but thats ok, i'll suffer until I can get a locker. I am skeptical of the rubber plug in the diff cover, seems a little to easy to take out, worried about water!!!

jeepmedicNB, I know you're new to the forum, so I'll cut you some slack, but you need to wait more than five minutes before saying something like "Come on, you must have an opinion?". That's the kind of thing you should say after a day or two, not after five minutes at a time when a large part of the board's population is asleep (almost midnight here in the East).

Ya well sorry for the pressure, it's 102 am in New Brunswick as well, maybe you should go to sleep! No seriously though, thanks for the info.

Since you have a 29-spline 8.25, you should be fine up to 33" tires with a locker (according to CRASH; I have no direct experience with that axle). I don't know why you'd want to go to bigger tires than that, though, since you're somewhat limited by the 4.56 gears.

jeepmedicNB said:
thanks for the info.
Glad to help.

I know plenty on 35s

The 8.25 is a little stronger than the dana 35. But as always, driving habits will determine how long any axle will last. If your the type that likes to push your vehicle to the limit everytime it is driven, the 8.25 will find a way to ruin your weekend. If you drive with common sense, it will serve you many reliable years just like my dana 35 has served me.

j99xj said:
The 8.25 is a little stronger than the dana 35. But as always, driving habits will determine how long any axle will last. If your the type that likes to push your vehicle to the limit everytime it is driven, the 8.25 will find a way to ruin your weekend. If you drive with common sense, it will serve you many reliable years just like my dana 35 has served me.

umm, Yeah....sure.

Ya, thats great. I wasn't sure if it was tough enough for 33's but I now know it's ok. Not sure if 33's will fit under my xj with 3" liift, 32's should though. any coments on the rubber filler plug on the diff case?? personally I think a bolt is a better idea. Does anyone know of any shops that carry lockers for this rear end in atlantic canada?

thanks again

I like the 8.25. Its easy to do a gear change in providing you have the adjuster cup tools.

The aftermarket is getting better since there are so many in service still.

Detroit makes the Tru-Trac for the 8.25 which is a geared limited slip(no clutches to wear). Its as close to a locker you can get in LS, and its durable without the noise or driveability problems on slick roads.

I've set up many of these axles and no complaints with durability up to 33", and mild power. I prefer the 8.25 in every aspect better than the D-35. Of the two choices you have in your year model consider yourself lucky!

Mambeu said:
I know, lots of people run 35s on 8.25s. But I don't know why you'd want to, given the 8.25's gearing limitations. Maybe with 4:1s in the t-case, but I still don't know if that'd be low enough.

true, but I already have 4.56s so ohh well for now.

j99xj said:

Its more than a little stronger....

d35 = 31s max

29 spline 8.25 = 35s max

Probably a stupid question and I got tired of searching after going a few pages of search results but I have a 99 with the 8.25 rear and I don't know how to tell if its LSD or open.

Back