• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild Rear Axle-ChryCo 8.25

1995XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
Keep in mind...i have NEVER taken apart an axle before...but im pretty mechanical minded, and im willing to learn.

Anybody ever rebuild a ChryCo 8.25 rear? The bearings need to be done pretty bad, and i figured i'd do it myself for cheap.

Umm...your gonna need some special tools and a basic understanding on gear set-up with a real chance of messing up a gear set.

And I'm not putting you down, there is just a lot involved in it.

Look around in the junk yards and find a good used one, should only be around $200 brake to brake, and it only takes about 2 hrs or less to swap the whole housing. Your first gear set-up with tools parts and all will run several hundred bucks.

Just make sure that you match the gear ratio.

Remove cover. Drain fluid. Remove cross pin. Remove tires and drums. Push in axles slightly, remove C clips. Pull axles out. Untighten side bearing adjusters. You will need the long hex head tool, or make your own. OR, you could just remove the adjuster hold down tabs and the bearing main caps. Keep all parts on the same side same, same direction. Remove carrier.

Get a bearing splitter/remover tool, and remove carrier bearings You can use a press if you have the right tools. Use a press, or a peice of tube the same size as the bearings, to install new ones.

Next, remove the pinion nut and yoke. Use a peice of wood as a punch, and hit out the pinion. Remove pinion seal, and remove outer pinion bearing. Use a bearing splitter/remover to remove inner pinion bearing. If the races look ok, leave them in. If not, use a punch, and hit them out. Clean housing.

Use a race installer, to install the new races for the pinion bearings. Be sure to use the same shim. Prelube outer pinion bearing, install. Install pinion seal. Press on new inner pinion bearing. Install crush sleeve. Install pinion. Install yoke, and slightly tighten down to hold it in.

Install carrier. Install the bearing caps. You can now thread in the carrier adjusters. You will have to mess around with tightening up and loosing each side, until you get the correct gear pattern. No shims on the carrier of the 8.25. Once the gear pattern and backlash is to your liking, tighten down side adjusters tight. Retorque carrier bearing main caps. Install side adjuster retainer clips.

To do the alxe bearings, remove axle seals, use a slide hammer of some sort to get the bearings out. If the break, you may have to chissle or cut out the race. Install new ones. Install new seals. Put axles in. Install C clips, install cross pin. Put cover back on, add fluid.

I may have missed a few steps, but thats the slight over view of the process.

Back