• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re-gearing questions

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
for those of you who re-gear yourself, i had a question. i know your supposed to preload the pinion nut. but how many of you actually do? figured that not everyone actually goes out and buys the preload tool. any help thanks.

Smittty9785 said:
for those of you who re-gear yourself, i had a question. i know your supposed to preload the pinion nut. but how many of you actually do? figured that not everyone actually goes out and buys the preload tool. any help thanks.

I do check the pre-load, not setting it properly will cause premature bearing failure of the pinion bearings.

Use a 0-60 inch pound beam type torque wrench. They are not easy to find either.

Most pinions require around 20-30 inch #'s pre-load.

I will add that the pre load is actually on the pinon bearings. The Yoke Nut gets torqued.
And Yes, this is actually a very important step, If you find someone Not setting the pinion bearing preload, they are doing a half A$$'d job. Even with a crush sleeve, you should check the pre load.

I got my 0-50 beam style inch pound torque wrench from Randy's Ring and pinion.

Thats one of the easist things to set right. Last one I did myself I put the socket on the nut then found a bolt that would not spin in the half inch drive socket. I double nutted the other end of the bolt so a 1/4 inch drive socket would fit. Then the 1/4 drive tourqe wrench fit right on. I would think harbor freight would have a cheap tourqe wrench you could pick up. Remember to use the new pinion nut also and I would add locktight.

Stumpalump said:
I would think harbor freight would have a cheap tourqe wrench you could pick up.

I bought mine at HF but last time I was there they said they didn't carry them anymore, may be a local thing.

I would also add that if it is a crush sleeve style set-up that it will require about 250-300 foot #'s to begin the crush, so only crush it a little at a time maybe 1/8 turn and check the pre-load. You should check the pre-load very often, if you over shoot it, you will need another crush sleeve and you will have to start all over on the pre-load.

xjtrailrider said:
I would also add that if it is a crush sleeve style set-up that it will require about 250-300 foot #'s to begin the crush, so only crush it a little at a time maybe 1/8 turn and check the pre-load. You should check the pre-load very often, if you over shoot it, you will need another crush sleeve and you will have to start all over on the pre-load.

Yea,that thing goes from too loose to too tight real quick and you need a five foot pipe to get it to turn. Once it starts to get close you may not even see the nut move before you pass the limit and they say you can not go backwards.

ok next question. where do i pick up a preload wrench and how much should it be preloaded to?

The preload is determined by how tight you have it. So you would tighten the pinion nut snug and continue to tighten it while checking the rotating torque of the pinion with an inch pound torque wrench.

Depends on what axle you have and if you're using new or used bearings what the preload would be. I know with an 8.25 rear the preload is 12 - 15 inch pounds with new bearings.

IntrepidXJ said:
you need an inch-lb torque wrench (not a click style).....i linked one in my previous post
You right mine has a dial and the clicker one won't work. Sorry I missed that.

Back