• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5" SF and shackles/spacers?

TrueBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm gonna order the lift this weekend. Gonna go with the RE 3.5" Super-Flex kit. I'm just wondering, if I wanna got a little higher later, does this lift kit warrant itself to adding shackles and spacers, like say 1.5-2"? I thought about getting the 4.5" SF kit, but that would set me back more $$$ and I'd probably def. need an SYE, which I can't afford right now. So will this work? I'll probably run the 3.5" as is for at least a year or so.

I don't know how much travel the shocks have, but just remember the 2" BB will take 2" away from that shock travel later. Maybe while you're buying the shock, etc now, make sure the shocks will be compatable with the extra lift

Yep as long as your shocks are long enough. Just remember that there may be driveline issues. If you have an older XJ you should be OK, but if you have the 8.25 Chysler Rear axle it has a history of vibes when you go that high. Shims and a TC drop can help though. If 91 is the year you have you should be OK, I'd still shim it though. Shackles change your DL angle.

It's a '96, so I assume it still falls under that "older XJ" category? I really want the 4.5" so I can build on it later, but I figure the 3.5 will get me where I wanna go for now, and I can do the schackle/spacer setup if I get the itch again, which I know I will!

what about controls arms and stuff? will they have to be replaced. and trac bar and stuff like that. cuz i have a 3 inch now and i am thinkin bout addin shackles and spacers to get round 5 inch. i also have a 96

xcm said:
that 3.5Inch RE lift will give you about 5" of lift.... out the box... unless you got heavy stuff... keep that in mind
I've heard you get more than advertised when it's new, but only at first right? Once it settles it should be a little closer to 3.5"... right?

Last edited:
I wanted about 3.5" lift but didn't want the stock UCA which you use with the RE 3.5 lift. I also wanted the adjustable track bar. By the time I added up the extras I found the RE 4.5 Superflex would be cheaper plus it came with even more stuff.

The RE 4.5 lift uses the same rear springs as the 3.5 kit so I had it installed without the rear boost shackles. It still sits just a little high in the rear.

So in effect I have a very nice "3.5 lift" that got me about 5" of real lift. I could install the rear shackles and coil spring boosters if I wanted to go higher.

I went with the RE 3.5" kit on my '96, and had vibrations so bad that it was almost undriveable. I ordered an AA SYE, Tom Wood driveshaft, and 6* shims the first day I drove it after being lifted, and it is now vibe-free. I got 5" of lift all the way around, and it hasn't settled any in the 6 weeks it has been on there (and I'm glad of it.) Be sure to get 3/4" or 1" spacers, as the front tends to sit about that low on RE kits.

As for adding taller spacers and shackles later, yes it can be done. The RE 4.5" kit uses the leaf springs from the 3.5" kit in conjunction with 1" shackles. From a financial prospective, it's cheaper to just buy the 4.5" kit now than to add all the extras later. The 4.5" kit adds 1" taller coil springs, 1" shackles, adjustable track bar, front brake line extensions, and upper control arms. Add up these parts separately and you'll find a significant increase in cost over the price difference between the RE 3.5" and RE 4.5" kits. You'll probably need a SYE with either kit.

xcm said:
you must have been really, really sagging before....

I measured all the way around before the lift install from the centers of the wheels to the factory flares, and all measurements were well within 1" of factory specs that I've seen here on NAXJA.

Good info in this thread, nice to see so many newer folks participating.

BTW, we're having a membership drive, it would be nice to not see a whole thread with names in blue. How 'bout getting some red going here guys? :)

:wave:

i love my RE 3.5 and think its just the right hight for a dd, and you can add to it later when you decide to go bigger. IMO it looks good with 31s untrimmed and you can trim for 33s. The ride is good, and the superflex joints are nice, and easy to install. I got the 3.5 and then i ordered the longer travel ome shocks so when i go bigger my shocks will be good to go. Dont forget bumpstops and you will nead a SYE. I ordered a TNT trackback and bracket instead of using the RE one and i have been pretty pleased with its performance. I have had no deathwobble at all and my rig is really flexy. its easy to put spacers in the front, u can even go with acos for all the height you will need. And for the rear you can use shackles or TNT u bolt eliminating pearches which add even more hieght in the event you want more elevation.

you can check my flex at hollister with the wife behind the wheel.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/himalayanhobbit/album/576460762379832923/photo/294928804100155435/0

Awesome feedback. Thanks guys! :)

So basically I've gathered that
a) It will end up higher than 3.5", and will be raked in the back, so I should probably add spacers up front to level it out.
b) The SYE is a must.

Is a new driveshaft a must too?

TrueBlueXJ said:
Is a new driveshaft a must too?

Yes. The SYE will require a longer driveshaft. But as a plus, it will be a double cardan, which will eliminate the steep u-joint angle between the transfer case output shaft and the driveshaft. Then all you need to do is shim the rear pinion up until it is 2* less than the driveshaft angle and you're good to go.

TrueBlueXJ said:
Will the front end still sit low on a 4-banger since the engine's about 200lbs. lighter?

I honestly don't know. I guess you could take a measurement on your vehicle right now, add 175-200# to the front bumper or hood, and measure again to see how much more (if any) it sags. The difference between the two measurements might be the gain in lift you'll get over a 4.0L engine. I doubt that a couple of hundred pounds would cause a 3/4"-1" sag though. I was thinking that I'd read that a heavy bumper (ARB, etc.) causes about 1/2" sag.

Back