• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't stop running

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
I thought it had to do with the remote start system, but I ripped it out and it's still happening, so I'm starting a new thread with a better title.

My jeep keeps running when I turn off the key and pull it out. The accessorys turn of, but it keeps idling, and will rev if I step on the gas. I have to pull the ignition fuse out from under the hood the make it turn off.

What would cause this? I sure hope it isn't the ignition switch. Maybe a relay?

Oh yeah, it's a 99 with 124k. I bought it off ebay less than 2 weeks ago.

Hella-XJ said:
i hate to say it but it sounds like the ignition switch, your best bet is get your hands on a code reader.
-Keep Jeepin

Guess I'll stop by the parts store and see if they'll read it for me. How hard is it to change the switch? Should I just send it to the shop?

piece of cake. pull the plastic cover off the steering column, then turn the key to the on position and stick a small screw driver upwards through the hole in the bottom of the cylinder. then pull straight out.

I took it to the shop and they fixed it. It was the relays from the remote start system. I pulled the control box but didn't know about the relays.

I had a similar problem... my goddamn aux. fan would still be running. =(. I would have to pull the fuse out.. but it stopped. One of those... going to sneak-up-on-me-one-day-and-I'll-cry things.

srimes said:
I dunno. Sounded to me like a relay froze up...

Well, which relay are you talking about?

If it were hooked up correctly there'd be another relay for pressing the brake pedal when the key isn't in - which will kill the engine....

My remote starter has 4 relays. It's only using 2-3 I believe. The 4th for sure is for an accessory like rear defroster, etc.

Blaine B. said:
Well, which relay are you talking about?

If it were hooked up correctly there'd be another relay for pressing the brake pedal when the key isn't in - which will kill the engine....

My remote starter has 4 relays. It's only using 2-3 I believe. The 4th for sure is for an accessory like rear defroster, etc.

I dunno, the shop ripped em out.

Back