• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy Brakes

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
Its been about 1000 miles since I replaced the pads and rotors on my XJ and I still have the annoying squeak that you would get when the pads are about to go. I took took off the pads and cleaned the caliper and the back of the pads, wiped off the rotors and still I have a squeak. I know its just break dust, but why would it be doing this 1k miles after new pads and rotors?

rotors need to be scuffed with like a scotch brite pad (if you dont resurface them)and if you didnt use anti-squeel and brake caliper grease when you assembled you basicly asked for squeeky brakes.

Check and clean/lubricate slide pins they maybe hanging up, if your old ones were worn more on one side than the other good chance they are. When installing new rotors I always take a grinder and scuff the surface of the new rotor to brake the machining pattern. This will help new pads to "bed in" faster. Most pads you buy nowadays have the silencer shims already on them, but if they don't try some "disk brake quiet" on back of pads.If you bought ceramics, a lot of times they will make more noise, thats honestly why I usually run the mid grades, less noise won't eat your rotors as fast

Last edited:
I didnt buy ceramics, they are semi-metallics. I think maybe its the shims, as the pads did come with a pouch of universal abutment clips in four different sizes. I didnt put them on (still have them though) b/c I wasnt sure which ones needed to go on muchless where exactly they go on as I have never had pads come with these before.

Back