• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner on aftermarket bumper

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
I just noticed that there are some scrapes in the Herculiner on my rear aftermarket bumper from loading and un-loading stuff into the back, and surface rust has started to run under the coating. Is there something tougher than Herculiner that would be resistant to this? I'm probably going to have to take this off, sandblast it, and recoat it sometime this summer. I'm also looking for something that doesn't have the rough texture. Though it's good for standing on, it holds mud and salt too well!

Powder coating isn't the best idea in my book. Sure it is tougher then paint but once it cracks it chips and..and..and. There is alot of different truck bed style coatings out in the market that will give you a less of a rough texture. The biggest thing is to do the prep right. If the coatings don't have a good surface to mat to they will chip, crack and peel jsut like any powder coat or paint.

Go to ur local automotive store and track down some stuff called Rubber Undercoating made by 3M, it comes in a rust colored spray can. Than get some hammered finish rust covering. You can either use Rustoleum hammered finish which is very good or track down some specialty paint called Hammerite from Germany. Its the best but runs about $9 a can and is hard to find.
Now spray the 3M stuff on first (after cleaning the surface first) and keep the can about 2 feet awat to get a textured look that looks kinda lika Rhino Lining. Than after that dries use the hammered stuff on top of it.
This setup works great. I have it on my rocker panels, undercarriage, bumpers, and siderails and it just takes every thing you throw at it. If you scrape some of it off you wont need to strip the whole thing. just use the same technique to cover an area larger than the scrape and youll never know. If you get any surface rust just spray the hammered stuff over the rust b/c it is mixed w/ glass and designed to be sprayed over rust and neutralize it.

Pics?

MercenaryXJ said:
Go to ur local automotive store and track down some stuff called Rubber Undercoating made by 3M, it comes in a rust colored spray can. Than get some hammered finish rust covering. You can either use Rustoleum hammered finish which is very good or track down some specialty paint called Hammerite from Germany. Its the best but runs about $9 a can and is hard to find.
Now spray the 3M stuff on first (after cleaning the surface first) and keep the can about 2 feet awat to get a textured look that looks kinda lika Rhino Lining. Than after that dries use the hammered stuff on top of it.
This setup works great. I have it on my rocker panels, undercarriage, bumpers, and siderails and it just takes every thing you throw at it. If you scrape some of it off you wont need to strip the whole thing. just use the same technique to cover an area larger than the scrape and youll never know. If you get any surface rust just spray the hammered stuff over the rust b/c it is mixed w/ glass and designed to be sprayed over rust and neutralize it.

X2 on the Rustoleum Hammered. Ive painted two sets of wheels and my rock rails with it and it drys to be very hard, its inexpensive and can be easily touched up.

Back