• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulled a Gauge cluster from a 93 sport at the junk yard. Will it fit my 96 SE?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I compared the two in the junk yard. They appear to have the same electrical connections but I just wanted to make sure.

I just feel safer with real needle gauges rather than those idiot lights. Plus it has a tach.

Only paid $10 too :)

PS. I have pictures of what I bought but cant upload them at work if someone can give me their email Ill send them.

Thanks

The cluster is a single harness in the back for the gauges and another single harness for the Check Engine, Seat belt, etc. lights. I checked the drivers side door jam and the man. date was unreadable. I checked the tail ights and they said 93, im assuming thats the man. date.

I know about the OBDII change in 94. Crossing my fingers I got the right thing.

OBD-II was 1996, not 1994.

It would take research that I don't have the time to do at the moment, but going right off the top of my head, I'd say:

It should fit physically. The interior and such weren't updated until 1997.
It possibly will not work - that's going to depend on whether the 1996 gages were driven by the OBD-II CAN bus or still had discrete signals. That's where I'd have to do research - and I probably won't have time for that until werun out of daylight.

The manufacture date on the taillamps probably has nothing at all to do with the manufacture date of the vehicle - for that, you should have tried the VIN (even if the manufacture date on the plaque in the door jamb was obscured, the VIN can give you model year, and the last six digits are a sequential manufacture number, which you can probably have decoed by Tech Authority.)

Awwwwww.

Well, Im at work till 9:30 tonight if you could possibly look into that for me. It would be greatly appriciated. :)

I suppose I need to try it on my lunch break huh? I cant hurt anything by trying right?

Thanks a ton!

Plays For Jeeps said:
Awwwwww.

Well, Im at work till 9:30 tonight if you could possibly look into that for me. It would be greatly appriciated. :)

I suppose I need to try it on my lunch break huh? I cant hurt anything by trying right?

Thanks a ton!

Damn.

I can't say one way or the other on electrical function at the moment - I don't have any 1996 wiring diagrams anywhere!

If someone has 1996 wiring diagrams, I can compare them to 1994 - which should be the same as the 1993, and we can get somewhere on this (I do have a 1994 FSM. However, I've got an 1997 FSM, and I know that cluster is different physically - so that's a non-starter.)

Anyhow, if someone can give with the pinouts for the connectors on the 1996, I'll compare them to 1994, and we may get somewhere on this...

Sorry it took so long to give with "I don't know," but this is the first chance I've had to pillage through the Archives...

I have done it, it was a direct swap I used a 93 gauge cluster and put it in my 96 I had to change the oil pressure sensor and the water temp sensor.

Plays For Jeeps said:
Found this,

http://www.jeepbarracks.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=27

Any idea why I need to change the sensors? Should I be changing them to a certain year or just new ones for the 96 for more accurate readings?

Thanks guys

With RENIX and (I think) OBD-I, you have to change the sensors that drive the gages - since the light wants a simple switch (ON/OFF signal) and the gage wants a variable signal (usually a variable resistance, either used as a voltage sink or a voltage divider.)

The reason I'm not sure about OBD-II is because the gages and the ECU are often driven by the same sensors - and all the sensors are variable types (with the ECU using a threshhold value to turn the I-D-Ten-T light on and off...) I know that's done with the later OBD-II systems, but I'm not entirely sure about transitional years (1995-1998, or so.) That's why I really wante dto check - I don't like to guess (and I hate being wrong on the rare occasions that I do so...)

So, that's the main reason I don't answer your question directly - because I can't confirm my answer before I give it to you. As I'd said - physically, they should swap easily. Electronically? I don't know.

I guess Ill give it a shot when I get out of work at 3:30pm. Man do I love being a medical student :(

Thanks for all your hard work guys.

The junkyard I got the cluster from has literally dozens of jeeps, if anybody needs a specific cluster I would be happy to pick one up the next time I go :)

Back