• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What a crappy day!

wgc_3

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,

Well my whole life I owned Corvette's well I moved from TX to CO so I made a purchase on a 95 Jeep, it's a great car! Just love it to death, even with 130,000 miles it runs great! Well I was coming home today from Sking, and I turned a corner from a mountain and its a dead stop so I had one of two things to do, A) Go down the side of the mountain into a river, or B) hit the car infront of me. So I hit the Land Rover LR3.

Here is my problem, A if anyone here knows a good body shop in Denver please let me know. So I was able to get the car driveable and well the brakes/blinkers lights don't work?!?! Have a look at the poor picture, and tell me what you think why the rear lights would stop working?!?!?

Thank you,
wgcthree

IMG_2468.jpg

Gary's Auto Body on hwy 85 behind Johnson Auto Plaza, Before you get to brighton on the west side. Johnson's is Chrysler/Jeep dealer.

They both are Honest friendly folks. That's where I take my Jeep when I can't handle it.
Had my cruise control fixed right at the service desk and they never charged me a dime.

You probably blew the fusible link for the lights. Inspect the wiring harness for any places where it could be pinched between bent metal parts. My guess from the damage pattern is that it will be behind your headlight since that's where the wiring harness goes through the metal radiator support.

I had the exact same problem with the 'pre-wrecked' XJ I bought and that's what it ended up being.

Once you find the short, the fusible links are on the starter solenoid between the battery and washer bottle IIRC (I have a RENIX, not a HO so not 100% certain) give them each a little tug on the wire to see if they stretch, the fusible link melts but the insulation doesn't. Quick fix is to get a butt connector and crimp the two ends of the link back together. Correct fix is to cut out the old fusible link and solder a new one in.

Later,
Joe

Sorry about the accident. I know exactly how you feel, I've had two different people hit mine in the last year. One was Jan. of 2006, the other was last month. XJ's are pretty damn tough. Take lots and lots of pictures of the damage, that way you can compare it to the results of when you get it back from the shop.

Sorry about you XJ, I did the same thing to my 87 the last time there was ice on the roads here in WA state. The sad part is, I have driven on ice my whole life, just hit a patch that had a water glaze, turned the wheel to avoid the brand new, sticker still in the window, Chevy pick-up in front of me. I crushed the right side, didn't know how bad it was, so I drove it 25 miles home, with almost no water in the radiator. Didn't kill her, but the unibody on that side has this nice like 3/4 inch radius curve where the radiator mount attaches, moving the whol front back about an inch. I really don't think that it is worth all the effort trying to get it back drivable, so it's parts will be donated to my '90 XJ....end of an era :( :(

There is a main harness that goes from the behind the left headlight under the grille, and to some where else. What is this harness called? Better yet where can I buy it, and not be from a dealership?

Thank you,
wgc_3

There are two harnesses in that area.

The headlight harness crosses from the plug behind the radiator support to the passenger's side headlight.

The main harness goes from the firewall all the way around the front of the rig to the passenger's side fenderwell where it connects to the starter solenoid and a bunch of other stuff. If the fusible link is blown, that's the harness you'll need to repair.

Replacing that harness is a PITA. You have to unbolt it from the back of the fuse box on the engine side and disconnect EVERYTHING it's plugged in to. I recommend trying to find the problem and repair it rather than replacing it.

And yes, the junkyard is the only place you're going to get another harness, I don't even think the dealer has them.

Later,
Joe

Back