• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spun axle tube 8.25"

Beetlejuice

NAXJA Forum User
Spun the passenger axle tube on my 8.25"

Its causing my leaf spring to be screwed up. and the XJ sit sideways.

Tried to twist it back with a 18" pipe wrench with a 4 ft breaker bar but it didnt budge, even after applying heat to where the housing and tube meet.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix this? I may just end up swapping another axle in but would rather an easier fix.

Any ideas?

If its and automatic then just power brake it until the torque of the end turns it back........if it get worries then put it in revers and power brake it(on foot on the brake and one foot on the gas)

the eng will be trying to turn the tire buy sense the brake will be preventing it the lose tube,tire ,brake......will turn as and assemble!

once you get it right, drive really gently and brake really gently to a welding shop that nows how to weld the spun tube back into place!

How did you manage to spin the tube?

Flash.

outlander said:
"How did you manage to spin the tube"?
x2 would like to know this also...I'm torn bettween swapping my d35 for either an 8.8 or a 8.25.

My 27 spline 8.25 has stood up to a lot of abuse on 32s with a powertrax I think.

Spun it when I was really slamming on the gas trying to pull a friend from the mud much, much larger then me. It took a lot of force to twist it as much as I did.

Ive tried power breaking it, no luck there. Its not moving.

Here's a pic of a spun 8.25. The guy had to drive home in front-wheel drive.

288522842405_0_BG.jpg

Beetlejuice said:
My 27 spline 8.25 has stood up to a lot of abuse on 32s with a powertrax I think.

Spun it when I was really slamming on the gas trying to pull a friend from the mud much, much larger then me. It took a lot of force to twist it as much as I did.

Ive tried power breaking it, no luck there. Its not moving.

Double check you spring perches(the pad were the leaf spring mount to the axle) i have seen them crush before causing a pinion upward motion.

other then that i would.........maybe a body shop could chain it to the floor and pull it back in to place!
aether way your going to need a professional welder to keep them toob in place after words.

come on, give it up.,.... how did you manage to twist the tube!!!:variety:

Flash

IntrepidXJ said:
looks like i'll be welding the tubes to the diff on my 8.25 soon :)
For sure, welding the tubes in now at top of priority list.

Beetlejuice,..... I really think that you need to tell a story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think there were vary strong forces that created the problem

by the way the pic is not form Beetlejuice jeep! He only spun one tube on his.......open diff????:dunno:

Welding any "pressed tube" rear end is a good idea. (Dana 30-44-60-70-80 are all "pressed tube design"!) They don't spin as easy as you would think!

Flash.

I know all about the welding to cast, etc...have the topics well covered but still doesnt get the tube back in place. Maybe ill just cut the perches off and reweld them.

Im not a noob or anything, im telling you i spinned it pulling a friends ranger out. Hit it hard in the jeep, tire grabbed prolly on the passenger side while the other spun in the sand.

Ill prolly just swap axles.

Beetlejuice said:
Im not a noob or anything, im telling you i spinned it pulling a friends ranger out. Hit it hard in the jeep, tire grabbed prolly on the passenger side while the other spun in the sand.

Ill prolly just swap axles.

Makes sense. 8.8 or 9 inch ford don't have pressed tubes!

Just a side note...........why done any body us the chry 8 3/4 banjo (like for 9 incher) type rear ends?

Flash.

Back