• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difference in body panels of '87 & '92

tallbluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know the major differences, if any, in body panels of '87 and '92, mainly front end? I'm looking to replace my 4.0L for that of one out of a totalled '92, or put my body panels from the '87 onto the '92.

I want to say no difference at all. If there is a difference its not cosmetic, probally only mounting points which can always be cut off or bent out of the way.

I think the only difference you'll find is in the way the grille is designed. The 87 had a separate grille and bezel (in fact you could easily put the grille in upside-down), whereas later models have part of the trim incorporated in the grille. If you're swapping, make sure you get all the pieces for the grille.

The fenders, liners, bumpers, lights, etc. are all the same, as are the doors and all the glass. So are the suspension control arms, track bar and steering linkages. The axles will be different, though you could likely interchange the whole thing as long as you don't mix. The 87 has different knuckles with a separate brake caliper bracket, and the disconnect axle. The hubs, calipers and rotors are different as well.

The steering gear will be interchangeable, but may have a different boost level. Early ones had more boost. The steering shafts and columns are interchangeable, as is the PS pump.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the later models change the front corner marker lights from the headlight bezel area (right at the front corners), to back an inch or so onto the fender itself? I would imagine the wiring should still be the same anyway.

scca28 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the later models change the front corner marker lights from the headlight bezel area (right at the front corners), to back an inch or so onto the fender itself? I would imagine the wiring should still be the same anyway.
The marker change occurs in 97. The wiring harness is also different on these (at least the connector for the front harness is), as are the bulb sockets, which changed from bayonet to push-in. The marker lights are the same from 84 through 96.

Further to this, the doors from four door XJs (from those years)will fit MJs. however the two door XJ doors are to large for the comanche.

does anyone know of anyone who manufractures "NEW" XJ Doors?

Look around in the pick and pull for some good doors, clean them of any areas that may look like trouble, treat with a good rust control product like Zero Rust or POR-15,prime and paint.
You can prob. get 4 doors for the price of one new one. EX: RockAuto.com $240.79+ S&H $98....Dealer..$265 to $417+ S&H....these prices are per door.

dizzymac said:
$150 a door....I'd be telling them where to "push" that door....lol

Around here you could probably find a beater with good doors for little less! In fact, for 150 a door I could be induced to sell you my 95 4-door whole. The body is rotten but the doors are good. Opening wing windows too. A little brake work and you could drive it back to Wisconsin.

Back