• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Walker Valley 3-4-07, what a day!!!

Blkxjkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Matt (IXNAYXJ), and I did a prerun for Mudfest today. Riding along with Matt, we were joined by Eric(TRSCOBRA). Eric is a recent transplant to the NW courtesy of the US Army and wanted to see what 4 wheeling was like up here. I was particularly excited to hit the trails today to see how my new front locker would work.

We started out our day running our normal route through upper mainline. About a quarter of a mile into the trail I decided to try a tight squeeze through two trees. I got the front end over the roots(love the front locker). but could not get the rear bumped over the undercut the roots had formed. To make matters worse I managed to get my rock slider hung up on the roots, those rocker replacemants are looking better everyday!

Going Up
100_0484.jpg

So close, yet so far away
100_0477.jpg

A quick tug later we were on our way, coming quickly to the now infamous rock face on expressway. After today I have a new found respect for that rock. As the video shows it almost claimed me, and my jeep as victims.
NWS-BRIEF LANGUAGE
http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k68/ryanbarrett4/?action=view&current=100_0488.flv

And the results
100_0491.jpg

100_0490.jpg

So there I sat white knuckled, legs trembling, waiting for the ant on my hood to sneeze, the wind to blow, Or whatever small insignificant force it would be that would send me clean over.

Luckily, Matt managed To BACK up the rock, and worked some creative winch magic to get me back on track

100_0495.jpg

100_0494.jpg

Once free we continued on, allowing plenty of time for Matt to pose
100_0486.jpg

100_0504.jpg

Matt's big rear end
100_0511.jpg

This picture does not show just how close to that stump you get. I thought it was going to be time for a new passenger mirror, and a 4th set of tj flares, somehow I managed to squeek by cleanly
100_0516.jpg

While we were stopped for this photo op some quad riders stopped and told us that there were two rigs stuck elsewhere, In need of a winch and some assistance. It was getting late in the day and we were getting ready to leave but decided to go and see if we could help.
Stay tuned for Part 2: Toyota recovery fest.

Looks like fun! I can't wait to revisit "the rock". :D

Blkxjkrawler said:
Stay tuned for Part 2: Toyota recovery fest.

AGAIN? :doh: Please tell me it wasn't the same guys ...

edit: just watched the video. :scared:

-i

Last edited:
PART 2: Toyota recovery fest.

We made our way back down the hill, and over to the rock pit were we came upon two Toyotas that were severly stuck. One lacking traction to continue up the steep shale covered hill, the other teetering precariously on a side hill, with the rear axle wedged into a large rock.

The site on arrival
100_0531.jpg

100_0532.jpg

100_0530.jpg

100_0528.jpg

Over the next 2.5 hours the whole thing became an exercise in frustration, between over complicated winching, several well intentioned, but poor ideas, and mechanical problems. It definatley taught us the value of being prepared and that you CAN have too many people helping on a recovery. To make a long story relativley shorter, Matt ended up strapped to the white pickup and pulling it up the hill. The Four Runner we tried strapping but ended up winching it out after running a rope to the roll bar and hanging off it to keep it from going over. Here are some vids of the recovery

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k68/ryanbarrett4/?
action=view&current=100_0539.flv

When we finally got him out

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k68/ryanbarrett4/?action=view&current=100_0541.flv

Hopefully, we imparted some knowledge to these folks, and they wont soon find themselves in the same predicament. I think we really made a positive impression for the NWC chapter. their were alot of people watching these guys in NWC :NAXJA: shirts get those people out.

Big thanks to Eric(TRSCOBRA) for not only taking most of these pics and videos but for being the brunt of most of the jokes for the day. He's going to be a great addition the NWC, once we rip his bushwhackers off.:spin1:

End of the day posers
100_0536.jpg

Ryan

Slacker87XJ said:
Looks like fun! I can't wait to revisit "the rock". :D

AGAIN? :doh: Please tell me it wasn't the same guys ...

-i
Yeah we missed you!! lots of trains through last night.
I can definatley wait! I think my seats still 3/4 up my ace

Not the same, but thats now three Walker trips in a row with broken, and or stuck toyotas, and once again TOYO MT's were invlolved,:rolleyes: HHHMMM me's thinks I see's a pattern.
Ryan

I'm so confused. Why not put them in nuetral and let them roll down the hill backwards? Gravity could have gotten them "unstuck." Of course if they had 39" tires none of this would be an issue.

oh yeah well i went to tahuya.....

and i hit the hardest thing it had to offer.....

14.jpg

mud1059 said:
I'm so confused. Why not put them in nuetral and let them roll down the hill backwards? Gravity could have gotten them "unstuck." Of course if they had 39" tires none of this would be an issue.

4runner was barely running,and a general mechanical nightmare. He had dug himself into the hillside with the rear axle up against a large rock. there was not enought room to get the PU past the 4Runner coming down, once we got the 4 runner out of his holes, and on stable flat-ish ground he did back down and out.

Dude, you were so lucky on the rock. Are you going to reupholster your seat?

Blkxjkrawler said:
and once again TOYO MT's were invlolved,:rolleyes: HHHMMM me's thinks I see's a pattern.
Ryan

Yeah, yeah, yeah.......Some Krawlers may be in my future.

Sounds like a good time. I wish there was places for HS kids to go wheeling around here. I miss tard recovery.

edit: and all their hot girlfriends :)

mud1059 said:
Sounds like a good time. I wish there was places for HS kids to go wheeling around here. I miss tard recovery.

edit: and all their hot girlfriends :)

Somebody call me next time something like this happens. I can still get away with stealing said hot girlfriends

looks like yall had a lot of fun

Yeah, great trip guys! I really wanted to hit the rck face, but I was having some minor mechanical issues with the new D44. On full compression of the driver's side, the DS was touching the TnT LA and making a hellacious noise. I was worried about breaking something, so meow'd out. Great trip otherwise!

When Ryan was on the rock face, I really thought he was going over. As I winching him I was talking to him on the CB and telling him not to respond because I was afraid if he reached for the mike it would be enough to put him over the brink. It was that close. Sorry for the language in the video, but my heart was racing and the adreneline was flowing!

The kids in the Yota's were in over their heads, that's for sure. That being said, they were very genuine and thankful for our efforts. I have to admit, it was kinda cool being on the other side; in my rig I had a tree strap, yank strap, two shovels, a snatch block, winch, three shackles and thick leather gloves. Sharp contrast to some other times I've been cought unprepared.

Speaking of the stuck Yota's on Toyos, they promised to register and post up some of the video and pics they took...we'll see if they do.

As Ryan said, we had a Yota Threepeat; three trips to Walker, three stuck Yota's, all with mechanical problems and all running Toyo M/Ts. Hmmmm....

If you like what you saw here, make sure to join us on the Walker March Mudfest!

-----Matt-----

Nice save, actually...lucky save! looked as if you were on the wrong side of the ridge, hard to tell though my computer chopped up the vid pretty bad.

Nice Pic's and Video guys!!

Ryan,
Not sure that you really want those "Cool Rocker Replacements" without that lower rock slider, you might have had nothing to catch on?? Your "not so cool" rock sliders might have saved your entire rig!

I have not been to the rock face yet, so I can't say for sure. But from what I have seen of several video's I wonder if less wheel and vehicle speed might not be safer? Normally (not always) less speed means less speed for what happened to you. I can imagine it took quite some time to retreive your seat!! Then again, it is very difficult to keep your wheel speed down when Matt is spotting ya;)

I look forward to Mudfest and really hope I can make it!!

Michael

Blkxjkrawler said:
Big thanks to Eric(TRSCOBRA) for not only taking most of these pics and videos but for being the brunt of most of the jokes for the day. He's going to be a great addition the NWC, once we rip his bushwhackers off.:spin1:

Hey! I didn't know I had an accent until I got here!

Oh, and:
IMGP0689.jpg

Bushwackers-- gone! :party:

Back