• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What coolant for 99 xj?

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I just bought my first xj off ebay:party: . It's a 99 auto with 124k and a 4.0. It didn't come with the owners manual, and it's low on coolant. It looks kind of orangish. It is the dexcool stuff?

And yes, I searched, but didn't find the answer.

Thanks,
Sean

If it is orangeish, it should be the dexcool stuff. I'm surprised to see that in there, unless whoever had it before you actually bothered to change the coolant......

When I did my coolant service last summer, I used Peak Global (really, really, really good stuff). However, i've always heard its not good to mix the orange stuff with any of the other stuff...

Get it out, the dexcool should not be used. Straight green prestone or Mopar with DISTILLED water. If the change was not done right the dex will react with the ethlyne glycol and chunk up [for lack of a better term] and get lumpy, kinda like trying to pump jelly thru the system.

My 2000 had dexcool in it too. I don't know if it was original but it was in there. I flushed it out and replace with normal. I've heard mixing them up can cause them to gunk up but I don't know if thats true.

It's low so it isn't easy to see. What is the proper flushing procedure? Just drain/refill/run/repeat with the hose until it's clear?

Thanks

We fill them with water and Prestone radiator flush, run it for 20 minutes, then keep flushing it with water untill it's clear.

Ok, I flushed it. Don't think it was dexcool, just very brown from rust. came out brown and green. Just filled it up with the normal stuff. That drain petcock was a p.i.t.a. Pulling the lower hose was much better.

Back