• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low idle and bad mpg?

vbjornsson

NAXJA Forum User
Im not exactly sure whats up but the I6 has been running kinda rough lately and its been getting really bad gas mileage, like 8 or 9 mpg. Also the other day it was pretty cold and it was almost dying at idle. Im not really the best at figuring stuff like this out but my guess is that the fuel is not getting burned good enough. Im going to check the spark plugs and wires and the rotor and cap. Anything else i could check? I have a 94 sport by the way w/ like 175k miles. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

fuel filter????

A bad coolant temp sensor will also send a constant cold signal to the 'puter, making it pump more fuel than it needs. Had this on another vehicle, it would always blow black smoke when revved up. As soon as I replaced the sensor, it immediately cleared up, MPGs went back to normal.

Could be a lot of things. Add a plugged CAT to the possible list.

Does it run fine and have plenty of power? What about top end power?

You don't say where you live. Back east they have been having gas problems.

What is the service history on the ignition components?
It may be time to replace a lot of parts.
What year is it?

Other than new plugs, wires, rotor and cap, I would suspect the O2 sensor as the primary suspect as well as multiple ground problems. Lots of good discusions already here on those topics if you seach these words:

Oxygen
sesnor
mileage
ground

Back