• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I know, AAL's suck, help me out with my Skyjacker 3" AAL

no, i would add another leaf( like from a stock pack) under your skyjacker AAL

Yeah, the first thing would be to get a longer shackle. If that doesn't get the job done, try a small leveling block, I think Tomken still makes them 3/4".

when i had the skyjacker 3" AAL years back, axle wrap and flex turned it into a 's' in no time, thats why i say beef up the pack more.

I have the Skyjacker 3" AAL on mine and it has been there for five years now. My entire pack currently has an s shape also. I did add an extra stock main to the pack and ran it that way for maybe 6 months, but the spring rate was just too high with the AAL and the extra main, so I eventually took it back off.

a shackle will only speed the process of the "S" bent springs and a block will flatten the pack. The added leaf will make the ride "stiffer" but your pack will last longer, you will also be able to put more weight in the back.

Pro Stock John said:
I was hoping for a concensus. xj92, what do you mean the spring rate was too high, it was too stiff?

Yeah, it was too stiff.

I have to say that it looks to be sitting pretty level to me, but pics can be deceiving.

CHUGLYxj said:
a shackle will only speed the process of the "S" bent springs and a block will flatten the pack. The added leaf will make the ride "stiffer" but your pack will last longer, you will also be able to put more weight in the back.

Yes, it's a good idea to add another leaf. However, it's actually a good idea in most cases to slightly increase the length of the shackle because it allows the spring to move more freely, and the 1" to 1.5" additional length of the typical longer XJ shackle isn't enough to effect spring wrap. Also, while blocks generally aren't prefered, a small 3/4" leveling block isn't enough to change the likelyhood of spring wrap, and they can be an effective way to level out the suspension.

A set of MJ (Comanchee) shackles will lift the back end of your Cherokee .625 of an inch. If you can't find them used, you can get them from the dealer for roughly about $45 and usually have them in a couple of days if out of stock. I have the Skyjacker FL 3" AALs in my '93 XJ as well. A little stiffer ride for sure, but going on 3 years now and very little sag or wrap. Balances out the stiffer ride of my 5.9 V8 ZJ front coils (with extra isolators) well.

Last edited:
is there supposed to be any form of a shackle in the rear? pretty sure I'm sitting on a body/leaf connection with nothing in between but I'll have to take another look in the morning.

Okay I just went out and measured (wife and neighbours think I am nuts), and the XJ sits 21 inches from the ground to the bottom of the rocker panels. I checked and rechecked and it's even.

That being said how difficult is it to change over to a slightly longer shackle, I'm thinkiing of towing with my Jeep a little bit.

bcsavage said:
is there supposed to be any form of a shackle in the rear? pretty sure I'm sitting on a body/leaf connection with nothing in between but I'll have to take another look in the morning.

You most definitely have shackles, it's how the rear of the leaf spring is connected to the mount.

Pro Stock John said:
Okay I just went out and measured (wife and neighbours think I am nuts), and the XJ sits 21 inches from the ground to the bottom of the rocker panels. I checked and rechecked and it's even.

That being said how difficult is it to change over to a slightly longer shackle, I'm thinkiing of towing with my Jeep a little bit.

It's two bolts per side. A new shackle can be intalled in a couple of minutes. Use a bumper jack to lift until there is no strain on the springs, so the bolts will slide right out, jack it up a little more and bolt up the longer shackle. Don't over tighten the two bolts, they should be snug but you should still be able to turn them with an end wrench, this allows the springs to work without resistance.

Goatman said:
You most definitely have shackles, it's how the rear of the leaf spring is connected to the mount.

you're right, i'm an idiot. there's a stock shackle back there. i don't see how a 5" shackle only gives 1.5" of lift though, it looks like it'd be more like 2.5-3" but i guess if you factor in that it's supposed to sit at an angle...

Back