• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 rebuild

altierior

NAXJA Forum User
can anyone direct me to a good resource for instructions on how to rebuild a 242? i have the fsm for the 2000 xj. i know that frequently someone does a project and posts a step-by-step with pics of the process, so i'm hoping to find such a reference to use as a supplement to the fsm.

altierior said:
can anyone direct me to a good resource for instructions on how to rebuild a 242? i have the fsm for the 2000 xj. i know that frequently someone does a project and posts a step-by-step with pics of the process, so i'm hoping to find such a reference to use as a supplement to the fsm.

it is the same as a 231 as far as process , IVe never seen a tear down for a 242

I've torn down three 242s. They come apart the same as a 231 with the exception of the differential assembly inside and the low range fork lockpin. Getting the lockpin out is the hardest part of the whole thing in my opinion. The FSM says to use a small easy out but I've never had any luck with those things and end up fighting with that pin.

If you have the FSM, the pics will guide you pretty well and if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I can help you through it.

Later,
Joe

Back