• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

o crap

RED TONTO XJ

NAXJA Forum User
well today i whent to start up the jeep to go driving and when i did i got this realy loud knocking sound and after about 30 seconds it came to me.
ITS ABOUT TO THROW A ROD(with a soft, "dam" in the back of my head).
I quickly shut it off,
and now i sit here.:mad:

well the bad thing is, iv only had it for 2 weeks and havent driven it much.
it a 88 4 dore 4x4 4.0L 177k miles(this sucks).

any ideas on rods?

thanks.... a vary sad tonto:bawl:

how much oil is in it--sure its not just valve chatter? When does it make the noise (driving, stopped, idle, high rpm, etc)

Its probably just the notorious 4 liter cold piston slap...
Make sure that you have oil in the motor,start it up make sure oil psi is registering(if not shut down immediately)let idle till fully warm.If its piston slap:it usually goes away after the motor is warm.
HTH.

its got a good amount of oil in it but god knows how old it is or how long its ben since the oil was changed. i havent had a chance to change the oil(lots of rain) but sat i will do that and check.

it knocks all the time. some times it seems to stop under slow decell
i think the oil psi guage is mesd up. after siting for 2-3 days it is at 35-40 psi but when running its a quartermile past 80. i think it time for a new oil psi guage.

TONTO

well outlander you wher correct thats what it was. i just whent out to try it at 1:20 in the morning and poring down rain and started it up and it did it and left it running for maby 5 min and it whent away:sunshine: i shure was mad and sad there for a few. but now what do i do about the oil psi guage?

thanks for the help and sory fore the spelling.

TONTO

RED TONTO XJ said:
well outlander you wher correct thats what it was. i just whent out to try it at 1:20 in the morning and poring down rain and started it up and it did it and left it running for maby 5 min and it whent away:sunshine: i shure was mad and sad there for a few. but now what do i do about the oil psi guage?

thanks for the help and sory fore the spelling.

TONTO

:clap: for me!!

Back