• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a Lift

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the process of ordering a RE 3.5" Super Flex (Full packs)..how hard is it to install.

Is this something i can do in my driveway/garage with basic hand tools? (spring compressor too)
I have a buddy helping me out with jack stands.

Is this possible???
How long should it take (a weekend is what im thinking)??

Thanks

brendan

pb blaster,beer(if 21 of course), music, have fun, isnt too hard at all

a weekend is a good amount of time to budget for 2 guys.. the worst part about putting the lift on is taking all the old rusted and seized stuff off and out. i believe there was a little over 18 hours of removal time for mine between my father and I. putting everything on was pie.. a word of advice would be pb blaster.

I had all the bolts loosened & retorqued a week before by prepping with PB Blaster. I did have to drill out & replace the rear upper shock bolts that broke off.
Installed the lift myself without help in a day.
Read & follow the very easy to read & understand instructions. Then dig in!
Rick...

shouldnt need air tools, but a impact gun wouldnt hurt

I did mine in a day with 4 guys. We didnt have rust issues as I live in so-cal, but I did spray the hell out of the jeep with PB before starting.

Make sure you have torx bits and a torque wrench, other than that basic hand tools are all you need.

happened to my buddies, we just taped it again and all was fine, was little tricky to fit hands around there

Drill out the center of the broken part with a 1/8'' drill bit, use an easyout to remove whats left, install new bolt. If you damage the threads too badly, use the next size bigger tap & make new threads. Or drill out, retap,and use the next size bigger bolt.
Does the new kit come with shims for the rear? Mine did not. I had to buy them locally.

x2 on the blaster. When you start breaking the bolts loose don't force them until they break. Take your time. When you feel the bolt start to move work it back and forth. Over and over. Don't force it. If you bend the nozzle on the blaster you can get up in some of the holes in the rail to soak the weld nuts.

okay...do i need a breaker bar to get these loose...what is it??

(srry i read it in a book and have no clue what it is)
i assume it gives u more torque to get the bolts loose

I know guys have already mentioned PB Blaster but one more comment on it, is to try and soak your components down a couple of days before you even do the install, don't just soak stuff down and then try and tear stuff down immediately. I soaked everything down once a day for 5 days before the lift install and it helped TREMENDOUSLY.

You're probably going to break bolts regardless of having everything lubed up ahead of time. All four of my rear upper shock bolts broke so easy you would have thought they were made of plastic.
You can get this done easily on a weekend with two people. I did mine (same kit) by myself on a weekend with just hand tools. Only problem I had was a stubborn lower control arm bolt. I actually split open a half inch socket trying to remove it. Had to use an impact socket and a long cheater bar.

Be prepared to address the drive shaft vibes afterwards. That's what took me the longest to correct.

definetly...im saving up for a SYE depending on the vibes of course

but i think im all set to try and tackle this thing

ill let u know how it turns out

wow..thats an awesome ride u got there..thats what i hope mine turns out

how much did u know about suspensions before u started??

My suggestion is be careful when you pull the socket out of the frame side uca mount. Its not fun fishing it out. pther than that use a lot of PB and youll be good.

bmyohn said:
wow..thats an awesome ride u got there..thats what i hope mine turns out

how much did u know about suspensions before u started??

On Jeeps...well only two prior installs...one on a friends 96 XJ and another one on an 04 TJ Rubicon.

3" full traction with 1" coilspacers all around on 33's with front and rear RE SuperFlex lower control arms...
DSC03641.jpg

But before those....MANY of VW's...LOL. My own VW recieved two sets of coilovers (still on the second set) and many more.

And my VW for reference...LOL...first set of coilovers...
47b4db27b3127cce9adce7e93b1200000016108AZtWrdk1ctc

...its current set...
47b5df29b3127cce9e555a3b3b9c00000016108AZtWrdk1ctc

06.jpg

Not very difficult if your mechanically inclined. Just have a can of PB at hand...also the week before you plan on taking things apart, give everything a good spray daily...especially the rear upper shock bolts.

Back