• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How cold do your XJ's run?

knottshawk

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you in cold climates...how cold do your jeeps run? During the winter, at least this winter, mine stays right around 150-160. (The first mark on the temp gauge). It's getting old having my heater blow lukewarm air on me.

Anyone else think this to be abnormal? I'm wondering if my t-stat is stuck open.

I put in a new waterpump, radiator & t-stat this summer.

Mine blows hot, and my aftermarket gauge sits right at 180 during the winter. This by far is the "hottest" truck I have ever owned, even wheeling low speeds last summer it got to about 210... but anytime I ever needed the heat, it thaws you out fast. I have done a t-stat as well, if anything it reduced the in car temp a bit... I wouldnt trust the factory gauge either....

It was recently in the teens here (as cold as it gets in central NJ), and my '99 4.0 ran just under the 210 mark - which is where it seems to sit no matter what the temp is outside.

knottshawk said:
Anyone else think this to be abnormal? I'm wondering if my t-stat is stuck open.

Yeah. It's running cold and it does sound like your t-stat is stuck open. That would be the first thing I would replace.. Since you are in cold weather, I would get the super/heavy duty t-stat..

Even in cold weather, it should reach normal operating tempature. 208*, 210*, 205*... I forget...

Or, your temp sending unit or gauge could be bad...

Elias
Eh-lee-us

I know it's not my temp sending unit because the heater isn't blowing very warm.... I already have a coolant leak, so I guess now is the time to take care of the t-stat as well.

Thanks guys

Totally stock '99 XJ and I run 205 - 210 regardless of outdoor temp. Here in Rochester I've driven in outdoor temps ranging from -5 to 95F. Temp never varies by more than 5 degrees once I'm warmed up.

So is there anything other than the t-stat that could cause this?

I just always fail to see how t-stats go bad. It's a pretty simple little device, and this one is only a few months old.

I can't think of what else could cause this....

85 3.1L V6 New everything and I mean everything! 170
88 4.0L New Radiator 3 core New tranny cooler. 160 w/ cardboard on the grill

knottshawk said:
For those of you in cold climates...how cold do your jeeps run? During the winter, at least this winter, mine stays right around 150-160. (The first mark on the temp gauge). It's getting old having my heater blow lukewarm air on me.

I put in a new waterpump, radiator & t-stat this summer.
Thermostat is probably stuck open, but,

Questions:

What brand, style, temperature setting thermostat did you use? Was it a failsafe?

What year is your jeep?

What kind of mileage are you getting? (this question is related to lean operation, O2 sensors......)

Did you put in a larger, heavy duty radiator?

Of the 01, 99 and 94 XJs that we have had - they have all ran right at 200-105 no matter what outside temp. Even in the below zero temps we had last month here in the midwst - once our 01 warmed up - it was right at or just below 210.

1990 with 4.6L 195 t-stat

Runs at 165ish when its below 40 out. Tried 4 thermostats and burping the system numerous times. I think its the 3 core radiator I have along with an air bubble somewhere.

Sure sucks having luke warm heat when its below freezing out.

I'm in the same boat you guys are well partly atleast. My 88 MJ runs at 210 about 2 minutes after it's running and stays there the whole time. My 90 XJ which I have all new cooling system components in...I'm lucky if it gets to the first mark. I'm thinking it's thermostat but like some of the rest of you, I've just replaced it within the last like 4 months. I think mine runs lean because it never warms up too.

Try running a thermostat without any burbing holes in them and burp them from the rear temperature sensor in the head.

if this hasn't already been fixed I second or third the t-stat replacement.
I was in your boat just 4 weeks ago, never had anything more than warm air whether after 3 hours of hiway, or 30 minutes of city... it wouldn't warm up. Thats with a t-stat only 6 months old, so I had figured the same, it can't be the t-stat. Well $23 later and 30 minutes of my time and I have toasty warm air cooking my toes in the morning and thats with temps down to -30(celcius up here tho)
Its such a cheap and easy fix, and on the odd chance it doesn't fix the problem you have another t-stat when one does go bad down the road. By the sounds of the problem tho, being I had the same thing, change the t-stat and get yourself warmed up again.

Mine is now fluctuating between the 210 and 180 marks. I too, just changed the T-stat, after my failsafe actually failed. I guess it was just a fluke thing, so I put in the OEM setup with the hole at the top(12) and bottom(6). We'll see what happens, and yes other than antifreeze on my belt, it is an easy fix. Only about 15-20 mins tops, that is unless your RTV doesn't flow in the cold.

Jeff

In answer to the questions, it's a 93... and yes, I replaced the radiator, tstat and water pump. So, from what others are saying, I'm guessing it has something to do with the radiator.

Sounds like everyone who has put in a 3-core radiator can't get warm. :(
Wish I had known! Guess I'll be blocking the radiator and seeing what that does.

Back