• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 ax15 2wd to aw4 4wd

tmatheaus

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to this forum, my name is Tommy. I have a 92 2wd 4.0 xj that i got for free from my brother b/c it was wrecked (all cosmetic damage), it took me $20 to get it running again, now im in the process of lifting it and converting it to 4x4, I already swapped in the axles, now i'm fixing to swap the tannys, i have another 92 xj for parts. I need some info on what all I need and how to do the swap from an ax15 to the aw4. I know I need to pull the tcu out of the parts xj. I should have everything I need for the swap. But what all is involved with the wiring for the swap? Does the harness have pigtails with connectors that go to the main wire loom or is it just all jumbled together? What else do I need to know for this swap? I'm trying to do all the research before I dismantle it. Any help will be greatly appreaciated since I am about 3 hours away from my jeeps.

Ok a little update to this, i swapped out the wire harness, computer, and all the other goodies that i needed for the auto, i got it all put in, got the tranny, tcase, dshafts all installed, went to start it and nothing

when i turn the key, the needle in the temp guage pegs out but only when the key is turned to start, the needle goes back to normal when i let off the key, could this be a neutral safety switch problem

if i jump the solenoid on the starter it fires up and runs fine, everything works fine, but when its running it has the maint required light on, what could this be

1) Welcome aboard! Let's see what we can do to help you...

2) The NSS is only there for enabling the starter motor when the gear selector is in Park or Neutral. I'd have to check, but there's a "self-test" position somewhere on the key switch - between START and RUN, I think - that should illuminate all of the indicator lamps. Your temperature gage may have gotten crossed somehow, and that could cause the "spike" you're describing. As I recall, you should still have the sensor in the cylinder head to drive the gage, which would make it a bit easier to trace.

3) The CEL/MIL is driven by the PCM, and the PCM "knows" whether it's got an automatic or a stick. It could be getting something it doesn't expect - or not getting something that it does expect. Is the donor rig a 1992 also? If it is, swap the PCM and see if that solves the CEL/MIL problem.

NSS - Neutral Safety Switch
CEL - Check Engine Lamp
MIL - Maintenance Indicator Lamp
PCM - Powertrain Control Module

the donor rig is a 92 also, i did change the PCM out when i did the wire harness swap, the temperature guage works normal once the jeep is running, it only does the "spike" when the key is turned to start, i tried to start it by putting it into each of the gears from park to 1st and turning the key, but nothing changed

Back