• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater sucks in my XJ

LABMBA87

NAXJA Forum User
It takes 15-20 miles for my 94 to get warm, and blow hot air through the cab. Any ideas how to expedite that process? Somebody mentioned the t-stat. Somebody mentioned the heater core? Any advice? Thanks all XJ'ers

What's the "standard" running temp for a 4.0? Mine does take a while to get warm and the heater doesn't blow warm for quite a while.

A lot has to do with how cold it is to start with. Does someone else's XJ that warm a lot faster then yours.
In winter my two XJ run around 195~. When it was -1 DEG F out it took 20 min to blow real warm.
Cover 3/4 of the rad or more may help shorten warm up. It may get you a FEW more deg too. Power flush the heater core + CHECK the t-stat even if you get a new one. Suspend the stat in the middle of a pot of water with gauge and slowly bring water temp up. A few deg's -/+ is no biggy much more and replace
One or two SMALL holes in the t-stat are cool. Don't drill big holes in it. Many do in the summer to stop overheating.(it never helps) Then wonder way they can't get any heat in the winter.

I'm in Oregon and it's about 25-40 degrees in the morning around here. It does take quite a while. need to do something.
:helpme:

LABMBA87 said:
It takes 15-20 miles for my 94 to get warm, and blow hot air through the cab. Any ideas how to expedite that process? Somebody mentioned the t-stat. Somebody mentioned the heater core? Any advice? Thanks all XJ'ers

Move to Houston!!!!:laugh:

Check to see if the damper door is closing when you switch from vent to heat. If it is stuck in the vent position it will cause your problem too. Turn the engine on for a few minutes. Shut it off then slide the switch from vent to heat and back. You should hear the damper door moving back and forth. It is vacuum operated and takes about 3 to 5 seconds to switch or move (close or open). It is easier to hear with the engine off, and running the engine first will store up some vacuum in the storage bottle.

Wallyman said:
You say it like its high in crime and muggy 9 months out of the year :)

Nah i LOVE my state but im not a huge fan of the houston area. but to get BTT,
Whats a heater? its 75 degrees out:spin1:

It's the exact opposite of that thing we run 13 months out of the year called A/C, Air Conditoning, I think:roflmao:

I must admit though, Oregon would be a hard place to leave (at least in the summer). I fell in love with it and Mount Renier (sp?) when I was 16. I went up there for a national Model Rocketry contest from here when I was 16 during the summer. It was absolutely beautiful.

i have a 91 and i have the same problem
a guy told me that older jeeps have that problem and usually cardboard on the front will do the trick
hasent been 8* or below here in IL lately so havent tried it

I have a '94 with the exact same problem. I've replaced the thermostat with a new one from the dealer, flushed/cleaned the heater core and check all the damper doors. I did notice that a previous owner replaced the radiator with a heavy duty one so that may be contributing to the problem. I've also been using synthetic oil so maybe a bit less friction is also contributing to a the low heat output? Either way, it takes about 10 minutes to get heat and it never really gets "hot", just warm ... enough to provide adequate heat but certainly not hot like my other vehicles. At this point, I've chalked it up to "that's the way it's going to stay ...".

Fast95Neon said:
i have a 91 and i have the same problem
a guy told me that older jeeps have that problem and usually cardboard on the front will do the trick
hasent been 8* or below here in IL lately so havent tried it

The big diesel trucks cover their fronts (radiator air inlets) up in the cold weather too!

Back