• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Window noises.

xjmania

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 Cherokee. When I roll my driver side window up, it makes a racheting noise, similar to a air powered lug nut rachet. It only makes the noise when the window is completely closed and I continue to hold the button down. What is causing this sound?

That sound is the teeth of the drive motor grinding against the regulator cord. One of the two will wear away if you keep doing that. I don't think there are any sensors to tell the motor that the window is up all the way, like some newer cars, so it is up to you to let off the button when it is closed.

Same thing started happening to mine ('00) about 6 months ago. Motor still works fine, just makes that dang sound when its all the way up. I picked up a used regulator/motor and will eventually just go ahead and replace it. Not much else you can do.

- Jay

Jay2000XJ said:
Same thing started happening to mine ('00) about 6 months ago. Motor still works fine, just makes that dang sound when its all the way up. I picked up a used regulator/motor and will eventually just go ahead and replace it. Not much else you can do.

- Jay

:eyes: THANKS, I have been trying to fix the same thing ....... I love this site :patriot:

Back