• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add A Leaf write ups?

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
i've been searching for about an hour and can't find a write up on add a leafs. i was wondering if they are worth skiping the full packs. i was looking on rustys at the 3 inch lift and could not decide weater to get the AAL or the spring pack.

i guess my question is does anyone have a write up on AALs? are they hard to put together? how long do they take? any pictures?

that was a good write up but is there one of the rustys 3"?
i don't think that they are that long. if im right they are only a foot or so long, right? does it come with the bolts and shakles? and about how much time will it take. i have alot of standard tools. wrenchs, sockets,big fuc&ing hammers. i know i will need a spring compresser for the front. but what else?

One of the most important steps in any lift is to spray the hell out of everything for two weeks with penetrating oil, PB Blaster, JB-80 or whatever you choose.

AAL isn't that tough. Leave the main leaf in there and add to it. If you can get another stock main leaf cut the eyes off so that it is the same length as the distance from the center of the eye to the center of the other eye so that the entire length of the main leaf is supported by the leaf underneath. It will make the pack a whole pack a lot stonger. Or you could just get new spring packs.

Gnat5680 said:
that was a good write up but is there one of the rustys 3"?
i don't think that they are that long. if im right they are only a foot or so long, right? does it come with the bolts and shakles? and about how much time will it take. i have alot of standard tools. wrenchs, sockets,big fuc&ing hammers. i know i will need a spring compresser for the front. but what else?
ANY aal goes in the same. Do not get a short AAL, get a full length one if you absolutely have to and have no way of affording full packs. Compressors arent needed but come in handy.

the beauty of the AAL is that for now you won't have to deal with the dreaded from spring eye bolt. I made the mistake of messing with it and that alone will make you hate the XJ

Not if you live in the south:D

919Chief said:
Disconnect the LCA's and you can get Rusty's 3" springs in without compressors.

I thought this was a question about LEAF springs and putting add a leafs in them.....

Whats the problem with the centering bolts on leaf springs?? Plan ahead and have NEW ONES ready. While on the topic, get NEW U-BOLTS! These should never be reused!!! Just CUT off the old U bolts AND clamp and CUT/GRIND the centering bolt from the leaf packs. Install AAL and NEW centering pin, then new U-BOLTS and tighten, NO BIGGIE!!

Good luck,
CW

What Cwlongshot said is right. I just put a RC 3in lift on mine. it came with the full size leaf. Buy new u-bolts make it alot easyer. I did mine with hand tools it took about 3 hours by my self. Just remember to take your time. Cut off wheel is your friend. My kit came with new center bolt for the pack. Make sure you have safety glass on when cuting u-bolts or anything. I think the Rusty kit comes with everything but the u-bolts.

I have the Rockliz step 2 (xj main plus second leaf added to originals) and it added 2.25+- to it. ride is very good. I towed a REALLY heavy boat about 1000 miles with it and no sagging after. If you don't want a bunch of lift it's an inexpensive way to go. You will, however want more lift in the future! If you follow the Rockliz information it will be a pretty easy project. Get some rebound clips from huskyspring.com and have a couple of big C clamps handy.

Back