• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bastard electrical gremlin

luvherinmyjeep32

NAXJA Forum User
came home from 3 week trip to germany, discovered jeep was dead as a door knob. charged it and it died again after sitting awhile. repeated with same effect. somewhere between getting home and the last charging the light under the hood burnt out (related? gotta get another bulb next trip to town). obviously, i've got something draining the battery. today, i removed the negative battery terminal, charged the battery, and placed a test light between the removed negative battery wire and the negative battery terminal. the light is lit, proving there is a drain (the key is not in the ign. and wasnt for any of the following). i started with the obvious, pulling the fuses on all the stupid stuff i have wired up all over the place. the light didnt go out. i moved to the fuse box and after awhile discovered that once the dome light is pulled, the test light went out (small celebration occured). i put the fuse back in, and the light came back on. the only door i had open was my door, so i pushed in the switch for the dome lights and the test light dimmed. hmmmmm. i removed all the dome lights and the glove box light and the light is now dimmed but still on. i havent removed the vanity mirror bulbs yet becuase i dont know how the dum thing comes apart.

other facts of interest: door buzzer has been removed for quite some time and when the headlight switch is pulled out the test light gets bright again, nothing else gets the light bright in regards to functions of the headlight switch

what else is on the dome fuse i can disconnect? isnt the radio wired in some way so that the radio doesnt fuction without that fuse or something? maybe ill pull the fuse on the radio and see what happens. the radio is aftermarket.

ok, i've been calm this far...WTF is wrong with my damn jeep this time!?!?!?

thanks. -josh

Back