• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Headers

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ive done all my research, looked at countless threads, and in the end, really am not sure what the heck Im going to do.

Like the title says, this will be going on a Renix engine. From what I have read, all you have to do is take a non renix header to a exhaust shopand have them weld a bung onto it.

So, the companies that I have found vary greatly in price and hopefully quality.

Borla- discontinued the cherokee header
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=907627&highlight=borla

Banks- have seen several fail

Doug Thorly- Have heard some people dislike them, but have not heard of any failing

Clifford- Havent heard all that much about them

Pace Setter- Cheap, but many people seem to have trouble with them, especially with a couple bolts.

Gibson- Seen a couple that have failed

The arguement for headers always has everyone suggesting tons of headers, and arguing that this one is better, but never really give any reason why.
I am willing to pay a fair amount for a header, as I figure it should last untill my Jeep dies. Hopefully in the next two years I will be doing a 4.6 stroker, so this header will be swapped over. If Im going to be putting a fair amount of money and labor into the stroker, I may as well get the best header I can.

So, what do you people suggest?

Starboard M said:
Like the title says, this will be going on a Renix engine. From what I have read, all you have to do is take a non renix header to a exhaust shopand have them weld a bung onto it.
I should say that that bung is for the EGR.

I do have another question while Im at it. If a header is coated in a ceramic coating, how do the shops weld it in? Is it just a wire wheel to take off the coating, and then reweld? Does that affect the coating other then in just that one spot?

Glad to see that somebody read my thread and used the information in it. I didn't get a whole lot of responses from it. The Borla Header that I ordered from Quadratec was delivered to my door on Monday and I got to say it is a beautiful piece of work. Nice quality bends, good looking welds, and it includes the down pipe, hardware and gaskets. The folks at quadratec gave excellent customer service and shipped the header right out. They said it would arrive in 3-5 bussiness days and it arrived in 2 (shipped from Nevada to North Idaho). I am very happy with my service from them and the product I purchased so far (haven't installed it yet). I called Quadratec on last Thursday, 2/15/07, they said they had 3 at the time and I ordered 1 so it may be worth your time to see if they still have any available.

Guess you didn't find my thread. Skip the EGR, don't need it. Or do you have to deal with the air police?

I'm going with a Doug Thorley for mine. Check around some places might be able to get it to you with the bung before they coat it.

I have a Clifford header on two of my Renix XJs. Very happy with the design and workmanship. My .02

Weasel said:
Guess you didn't find my thread. Skip the EGR, don't need it. Or do you have to deal with the air police?

I'm going with a Doug Thorley for mine. Check around some places might be able to get it to you with the bung before they coat it.
Yep, unfortunatly I have to deal with the CA smog police. Otherwise I would just get rid of the EGR.

All the exhaust places around me dont tend to stock headers, and from what Ive heard, dont like to order them.

There was an online speed shop I found that had them, they might be able to do something like that. Guess you could check and see if the manuf. could weld one in also?

Cliffords look nice as well but I didn't want to have to deal with hooking up the two ends of the header.

Weasel said:
There was an online speed shop I found that had them, they might be able to do something like that. Guess you could check and see if the manuf. could weld one in also?

Cliffords look nice as well but I didn't want to have to deal with hooking up the two ends of the header.
I sent an email to Thorley. Ill let everyone know what they say about making a renix header.

I had the same thought with the Cliffords.
Im not sure if a D44 would fit in the front if there are the dual tubes.

I have an older single outlet Clifford and love it.

You don't have to have anything welded on to the header, All you need is the hot air intake to the airbox be attached to the header some way. I am using small piece of tubeing tack welded to a half piece of tubeing (like a cylinder sitting on top of a C, half a piece of tubeing) and then I just hose clamped the C piece to the header which allowed me to connect the hot air intake hose to the cylindrical piece of tubeing welded to the C part. The other side of the hot air intake hose was connected to airbox allowing the pre-heated air attachment for the EGR and it made the air police happy.

sjx40250 said:
Have been using the Borla (head to tail) for years and couldn't be happier.
Im going to be calling around, but I dont think that Ill be able to get one now that they are out of production.

GroversXJ said:
You don't have to have anything welded on to the header, All you need is the hot air intake to the airbox be attached to the header some way. I am using small piece of tubeing tack welded to a half piece of tubeing (like a cylinder sitting on top of a C, half a piece of tubeing) and then I just hose clamped the C piece to the header which allowed me to connect the hot air intake hose to the cylindrical piece of tubeing welded to the C part. The other side of the hot air intake hose was connected to airbox allowing the pre-heated air attachment for the EGR and it made the air police happy.
Do you have any pictures of this? I was under the impression that if the EGR is unplugged it will throw a code that will pop up when being smogged.
Can anyone back this up?

Email [email protected]. He can probably give the best advice on headers and prices. If he still has available the mopar/mike leach header, be aware that the output flange may interfere with the front driveshaft. It's a nice header, but my my complete custom exhaust system has provided the least bang for the buck of any modification I've done, unless it was the "50 watt" back up lights from JC Whitney. :)

Fred

Starboard M said:
I was under the impression that if the EGR is unplugged it will throw a code that will pop up when being smogged.
Can anyone back this up?

A renix engine controller doesn't set codes. The EGR controls NOx emissions and it will likely fail without it. It will certainly fail the visual inspection without the EGR.

Back