• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift is on the way!

DrSockMonkey

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my new 3" lift with full spring packs is on the way. :clap: I am all wound up:looney: about starting the build on my rig. My kids are super excited too. Tonight we are going to start checking the UPS tracking nightly and put pushpins on a map to track the delivery. Having kids means you can get away with acting like one, in the interest of being a good father of course. I got some 31" tires and will spend this weekend getting the repair parts on and a little roof reshaping. I hope to have the lift complete the weekend after this. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions other than spraying everything down with Blaster ahead of time?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Tackle the project during times you know the local store that you can buy new bolts (to replace any broken ones) will be open. AKA - Start early.

Spray PB the night before and start wrenching by 8am or earlier.

what brand of lift did you get?

Impact wrench - cheater bar, and do the new springs after the control arms (If you got them). If you do it vice versa, the axle tends to rotate on you making it a huge PITA. Maybe it's just me. Good luck though!

WaXJ_Skier said:
what brand of lift did you get?
I bought it from rusty's online it was $490 shipped
3" coil springs
3" full rear packs
4" rusty's hydro shocks (with assurances I will not need to change my shock mounts)

Now I may draw some fire for going with rusty's and not RE since RE seems to be the surefire brand. I did a bit of research on the forums. I read the post about the guy who worked at the place that made parts for both company's and how RE's quality control standards are second to none and he bought rusty's and was happy. But IIRC over 80% of rusty's spring owners posting were happy with them. The other thing I learned is don't use Rusty's trackbar even if someone pays you to take it. Eventually I will perhaps do a shackle lift in back and some spacers in front to go a little taller. The biggest issue with going taller and bigger Tires is my wife will not allow more than 31" tires on stock gears. She won't be disuaded. :banghead: I'm not going to a big lift now with SYE, I have heard I may get more like 4-5" in the rear and may have to anyway. where was I going with all this? oh yes trying to defend my rusty's purchase... anyways we shall see how it goes.. BTW if you buy from them get a quote on the phone and Website. The difference in shipping on the phone was over $60 more. Same part number. Nice people, unless they screw up and then I hear they are hard to get a hold of.:phone: Oh and the guy who got one leaf pack and one aal. But hey life is a gamble.

Jeremy

PS As of tonight the lift kit is in Hodgkins Illinois, 2100 miles to go!:woohoo:

i'm happy with my rusty's kit, even though i just added the aal to a bastard pack. the front springs have not sagged at all.(305's)

Thanks, good to hear! I got the heavier springs too. I heard that was better if you were gonna do a heavier bumper or winch.

GreenbeltXJ said:
i'm happy with my rusty's kit, even though i just added the aal to a bastard pack. the front springs have not sagged at all.(305's)

DrSockMonkey said:
Thanks, good to hear! I got the heavier springs too. I heard that was better if you were gonna do a heavier bumper or winch.

I've always been a fan of the heavier rate springs regardless, they just seem to overall ride a little better too so long as you got a good shock to back them up.

Congrats on the purchase
My first lift on my Cherokee was a rusty's lift and I ran it for 2 years without a problem. I sold it to a guy and he's been DD'ing it for the last 4 years. I only had one issue with them but it was resolved beyond my expectations quickly. I do agree their shipping rates are pretty high though.

Advise for the install.... !!!1 Pb blaster, and alot of it. These things will always take longer than you expect especially when done at home. So allow plenty of time for the unforseen.

I've heard Rusty's is getting a lot LESS complaints about his springs lately.... but I'd start saving a little $$$ now to replace the control arms and track bar. I think I've got 3 used Rusty's track bars floating around the shop somewhere ;) hehehe

Avanteone said:
. I think I've got 3 used Rusty's track bars floating around the shop somewhere ;) hehehe
I`ve got 1 that I can throw on that pile too.I had to have the thread end welded last year at Liberty so I could play 1 more day then drive home.

Just cuz everyone else is throwing tips out there.....
1)dont wait til 4 pm to start. Because it will get dark early. and that sucks big time.
and
2) Pick a nice day, you dont wanna be twisting bolts at 8:30Pm, in the dark, with pouring rain, and howling wind. YOUR FINGERS WILL THANK YOU.

anyway theres my point oh two dollars.
:laugh:

Tip

buy Joe a beer and invite him over to help. my 1/10th of a brain + your brain = 1.1 brain power which is > 1 brain power. Plus I will probably be doing the same thing in a few weeks and wouldn't mind a learning exsperience before hand.

Where do your guys pick up your PB Blaster? I haven't looked around for it, but will need some soon to disassemble my suspension. Is it something NAPA or even Shucks carries?

fubar XJ said:
Where do your guys pick up your PB Blaster? I haven't looked around for it, but will need some soon to disassemble my suspension. Is it something NAPA or even Shucks carries?

Alway got mine at NAPA

WaXJ_Skier said:
Tip

buy Joe a beer and invite him over to help. my 1/10th of a brain + your brain = 1.1 brain power which is > 1 brain power. Plus I will probably be doing the same thing in a few weeks and wouldn't mind a learning exsperience before hand.

Alcohol + Joe(minor) = Jail
Jail = bad

However if you are interested in coming over during the install that might work out.

Back