• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ Rear Dome Light Question

cmsurfer

NAXJA Forum User
On my '99 XJ, I have front and rear dome lights. Is it possible for the rear dome light to come on when the rear hatch is opened? It looks like I can push the rear dome light like the front push button ones, but nothing happens. It was the same with my '96.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve.

I've got a '98
pushing the rear dome should be switching it between coming on with the rear hatch open and not coming on with the rear hatch open. At least thats how mine works.

Yeah, mine use to work like that...doors open, dome light always on...hatch open, control the dome lights by pressing the button in the hatch area, so you could tailgate and not kill your battery. The switch started to go a few months ago and now it's totally dead, so the lights are always off now. I need to replace the switch.

The one on my 2000 was toast when I bought it. If you pop the light out (just carefully prise around the base to get it away from the roofliner) and remove the connector running to it, it should be pretty obvious where the problem is.

Yup....just push on the light and that will toggle whether or not it comes on with the hatch open or not. Useful for tailgating at a game or something and you want to leave the hatch open so you have a place to sit.

casm said:
The one on my 2000 was toast when I bought it. If you pop the light out (just carefully prise around the base to get it away from the roofliner) and remove the connector running to it, it should be pretty obvious where the problem is.

Thanks, I'll take a better look this weekend. I just find it odd that I had the same issue when I had my '96 XJ. My father has a 2001, so I'll check if his works or not.

Is there a fuse that only controls that rear dome function? I thought maybe it was related to that.

cmsurfer said:
Is there a fuse that only controls that rear dome function? I thought maybe it was related to that.

I don't have my fuse diagram handy, but from what I remember all dome lights are on the same fuse in 2000 and 2001. The cargo area dome light acts as something of a master switch for the others when the tailgate is open, though. If I also remember correctly, a blown bulb shouldn't affect its operation, but again I'm running on my memory here, which has been known to not always be the greatest...

casm said:
I don't have my fuse diagram handy, but from what I remember all dome lights are on the same fuse in 2000 and 2001. The cargo area dome light acts as something of a master switch for the others when the tailgate is open, though. If I also remember correctly, a blown bulb shouldn't affect its operation, but again I'm running on my memory here, which has been known to not always be the greatest...

Ha ha...

Both dome lights work when the doors are open and when you turn them on from in the cab. It's just the "button" that's not working.

I'll take a better look this weekend and I'll post the results.

The rear cargo area dome light should function just like the front dome lights, push on the lens and with the tail gate open, it will click on or click off all the dome lights . I have had 2 of the rear dome light assemblies fail so far. It seems like it overheats and stops working. Gently tug on the edges of the lamp and pull the whole thing down. The lamp assembly unplugs from the wire harness. I just pick up one or two spares any time I am at the junkyard

I have a '91 XJ and mine does not seem to work when the hatch is opened, only the doors (4 dr). Where is the switch located? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks

Mine has never worked with the hatch open on my '99. I have to continue to press the unlock button for it to turn on periodically. It's probably a cheap fix, but it hasn't bothered me enough to fix it...

I have a 2000 and when I got it the light didnt work. I pulled it out and the tiny little switch inside the light was burnt out. I went to the local dealership to get the switch and they didnt have it. they said the only way I could get that switch was to buy a whole new lamp assembly which was $50!! I just need to find a junkyard around me...

should the lights come on with the back doors on a 4 door? mine have not since i got it, i have a 97 SE was that option? it also dont come on with the hatch.

97-01 when you open any door the dome light and rear dome light should come on together. Same with opening the rear hatch. My rear light did not work for a while and I found out it burn out. I had to buy a new switch. Should have gone to the junk yard like stated above. It cost me like $40.00 buck to replace.

so where are the switches for the back doors, i looked and didnt see any when i got the XJ and just figured the lights dont come on with the back doors. front and rear lights work with the front doors but not the rear doors or the hatch. i know where the hatch switch is i read about it in a different thread just waiting on warmer weather to see if it needs cleaned or replaced.

Wow... Seems like it's a pretty common problem. Like the one said above, I usually just hit the unlock button on the key fob. I checked with my father and the rear light does work when he opens the rear hatch on his 2001.

AFAIK, the dome lights do not come on when the 2 rear doors are open, only the front.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll have some time this weekend to take a look at it. Luckily there is a pretty good Jeep junkyard by my work where I can look for a new light assembly if I need to.

BTW, where is the switch on the back hatch so it knows the hatch is open?

Thanks,

Steve.

The switch is in the lock mechanism. It actually turns the light on when you press the button to open, not when the hatch moves.

My interior lights didn't come on with the hatch either.......turns out the button on the light melted. They all melt, on all years.....upgrade the switch on the rear light!

The purpose of the switch is to either turn on all of the interior lights when the hatch is opened, or not......so you don't drain the battery while loading, etc.

Or after that nothing came on a few months later. Turned out the connection in the hatch by the latch was rusted......sanded the rust off with a dremel and we were back in business.

So yeah, your problem lies in either place :)

Back