• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Sin

kd5dwy

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the fluid in my transmission with ATF+4 before reading about people having problems with it on this site. I ran it for about two days before draining it and replacing with DEXRON III. My transmission seems to be a bit "loose" and clunks around a bit while shifting (especially dropping into first when starting out). I have 234K miles on this thing and am wondering if this is just a worn out tranny, or did the ATF+4 actually damage something during the two days I used it.

Your jeep is an 87, so i'm not positive, but isn't they aw4 supposed to use the ATF+4 (3?) fluid? I know mine(97) take the special chrysler fluid and I haven't heard anything bad about it. Good enough for the factory, good enough for me.

Your 97 does not take the Chrysler ATF4+ because the AW4 is not a Chrysler tranny. The dealer and parts guys frequently get this wrong. ATF4+ has a lower coefficient of friction and can cause the AW4 to slip. Going the other way and putting Dexron in a Chrysler tranny tends to cause clutch chatter and facing damage.

For the original poster, I doubt you damaged anything. The full capacity of the tranny is 8.5 quarts, so it's likely you only changed a portion of the fluid and you still have a fair amount mixed in there. I'd try another partial change and see if that helps.

Yeah...I checked the owners manual. 2.5 liter uses the atf+2 4.0 liter uses the MOPAR ATF (not to be confused with the Chrysler +3 stuff).

To the poster...I have been running the type 7176 fluid in mine for 30K miles with no side effects, so I'm sure yours will be fine.

Back