• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking 8.25

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
so im having noise coming frome the rear end of my jeep. its scaring me because i just put a no slip in it 2 weeks ago. when i accelerate hard it seems like there is slop in the rear end and it clunks, it makes the most noise when im going like 20 and floor it, let off, floor it, let of.... the locker seems to work perfictly though. Could it be my rear yoke tourquing down when i accelerate causing it to bind and clunking or did i do somthing wrong on the install.? its a 8.25, 29 spline with 3 inch add aleafs, 2 inch shackels

Thats more than likely just normal drive-line slack. All the Jeeps I have ever owned were like that. Especially going from park to drive....

No slips and lockrights seem to add slop. My new no-slip is the same way as yours when I tap the throttle on and off.

More info please

If you are running smaller tires and stock gearing I wouldn't think it would be that noticeable. Bigger tires and stock gearing would make it more pronounced because of the driveline slop (same thing that causes the noise when going from Drive to Reverse and vice versa).

What does it do in reverse when you turn? If there was problem this would be where it is most noticeable. Did you do the 'Go/No Go' check with the little bar? Did the wheels lock and unlock ok during the test phase (turning one wheel while holding the other steady?)

With Powertrax, their QA is kinda of all over the board. I've installed two no-slips in both of mine (27 spline & 29 spline) and grenaded them both while driving on the street. Was never quite compared to buddies that run them. One guys makes absolutely no noise, anothers makes a few click and clacks and then there was mine. Sounded like an old train clickety-clacking down a track.

also be sure to check your u-joints. the slack in a locker seems to magnify a sloppy u-joint.

Mine did the same thing when they sent me a Chebby 8.25 locker (yes it actually fits in there), instead of the Jeep/chryco one. Mine broke though, and the locker only spun one axle, no power at all to the pass side. Jack it up, and make sure the wheels are turning in the same direction. Take cover off and inspect.

Back