• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird XJ leak...time for the dealer?

stevez

NAXJA Forum User
My poor 1991 XJ seems to have developed a leak of sorts where the rear axle fits into the transfer case. I thought it was brake fluid but it seems to have the typical spray pattern of a spinning axle.
Have any of you guys or girls ever replaced what I assume is a pliable seal in there? Is this a special tools or special skills project or something I might be able to do myself without bankrupting myself at the dealer?
He already owns half my house
URL] [B]

thankyou as always
steve

that is the tc tailshaft seal. As I remember it is about $30 from the dealer. You have to remove the rear ds (4 8mm bolts on the rear yoke and pull the slip yoke out of the tc. The lip of the seal is metal and can be pried out with a straight screwdriver. Clean the mounting surface and insert the new seal (using a little rtv doesn't hurt). Use either a brass punch or a piece of wood to tap the seal into place--as to not damage it. I have found it easier to remove the whole tail cone to do the work not laying on your back and reseal the cone with rtv upon reassembly.

Easy job......Good Luck!

I must be getting old, but that doesn't look like a tcase on an XJ???????

I have an SYE? Well that's news to me too!
I'm buying that seal tomorrow and giving this a try myself.
I have those tools and I'm not afraid of new jobs as long as they are do-able by an average backyard mechanic. I don't want to trash my transfer case!
thanks again...you guys are a lifesaver
Steve

If that seems like a surprise to you .. are you sure thats not the yoke for the front axle and not rear?

If that is the front output, where is the rest of the tcase and tranny?

I guess I haven't taken a close look at the crossmember on a newer XJ, but it looks nothing like a Renix era unit.

I can certainly tell the front from the rear! It is the rear drive-shaft and the other end terminates in the rear differential. It is a 1991 jeep but it was pretty well equipped for its day. I think SYE is a slide yoke eliminator...I just never realized it had that or why it even would. I just hope this doesnt mean I can't slide out the yoke to change the seal....hmmm

I didn't think any of the XJ's came from factory with slip yoke elimators. It's possible the previous owner installed it, and if they did a half-assed job that could explain your leak. Unless your jeep is lifted more than 3", idk why they would have put a SYE on it though.....hmmm

I'm with old man it looks like a front output shaft.
There just isn't any way that can be the back
The red looks like the crossmember, and the blue looks like a t-case skid. Also, if that is the back, and you are looking at it from that side, where is the exhaust pipe?
jeep.jpg

Ahhhh heck!!
You're ALL right and I'm stupidly dead wrong!
I found the dang leak while changing the oil and it is actually coming from the FRONT. Oh man I feel like a dope!
What threw me off is the rear output seal on the differential is ALSO leaking. I thought the fluid had run down the driveshaft.
My apologies for doubting you and not double checking when there wasn't snow on the ground.

Back