• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Description and Rules.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Intermountain Geostash Challenge​

Date August 16th-18th 2007

Description

The NAXJA Intermountain Geostash Challenge will be a run involving your jeep, a GPS and your thinking skills.

Taking place in the Uintah Mountains in of Northern Utah.

How it works
Throughout the Northwest slope of the Uintah Mountains, 20 caches will be placed in remote locations. Each participant will have 3 days to locate the caches of their choice. The goal of the event is to use your GPS, mapping skills and common sense to locate 5 hidden caches while enjoying and exploring the area. Each cache will contain a sealed "Package" in which you will find specially marked playing cards. The evening of the final day, a dinner will be held and together everyone will open their "Packages." Prizes will be given to whomever can make the best 5 card poker hand using the cards found in each cache.

Note: A GPS is not required for this event. You can buddy up with someone who has a GPS.

Costs

No Registration costs.
$20.00 a poker hand.
$7.00 Dinner per person.

Half of the Proceeds from this event will go to the Blue Ribbon Coalition to help fund their fight to keep Moab area trails open to all.
Next year the BLM will be revising their travel plan for the area. It is going to be a very costly battle.
You can read more about it here
BRC's Moab Partner Program

Rules

1. Each participant will only be allowed to take 1 "Package" per cache per hand purchased. Each cache will have an individual mark on both the card and the sack they are sealed in. If anyone has more than one card per hand they have paid for from a single cache they will be disqualified. Packages retrieved from the caches remain sealed until presented to the officials for counting!

2. Everyone must obey the posted Forest Service speed limit of 30 MPH. This contest does not reward speed. Everyone will have the same amount of time to complete the challenge. Officials will be roaming the forest looking for speeders. If caught you will be disqualified.

3. All vehicles must be part of the “buddy” system. Two or more vehicles must be together at all times.
Why?
-- The forest is vast and help could be a long time coming. Some of these caches are very remote.
-- To meet new people.
-- Those without a GPS must buddy up with someone who has a GPS.

4. NAXJA vehicle requirements must be met.

5. Each vehicle must have a two way radio. Either a CB or an FRS radio. Each area will have a set channel and everyone will be required to run on that channel.

6. All participants must be paid and registered by July 28th in order to compete.

Please Register for this event here...
http://www.young-fam.com/naxja/Geostash2007.php

Last edited:
So what is the nearest city to this event? Trying to figure how long of a trip from Colorado Springs. Buddy and I am interested, however his Jeep is built light. How hard are the trails?

jragan said:
How hard are the trails?

This is not a "Wheeling event." A pure stock vehicle will do just fine. There will be a few caches that are placed in harder areas. Everyone will have equal oppurtunity no matter how their rig is built.

I can't think of a single trail in the Uintah's that a stock jeep couldn't tackle but that shouldn't scare the heavy built guys away either. There is plenty of low range type driving there too.

Thanks for the info guys. I am trying to talk a buddy into come to this also. Reading through the post though looks as if you could alway buddy up with some at the event. True?

wife and i recently got heavy into geocaching and think this would be a BLAST...just wish we were able to participate....sounds like a real adventure..

i love caching.....BUT i am gettin sick of the people on the geocaching forum badmouthing cherokees..lol...most of the jeep people in the caching community drive wranglers...and MOST of them are female...hehe...

i saw one post on there that called a cherokee *just a lux car with 4wd* wish i had posted a pic of mine on there....they might change thier mind..lol

OK, because I'm mildly retarded... 50.00 gets me a dinner ticket, t-shirt, and a poker hand that I need to find at one of the cache sites, correct? If I buy extra poker hands, then they are out at other cashes, correct?

Also, since I grew up in a sheltered home, are people allowed to help me come up with poker hands? (give yourself a minute to stop laughing before replying)

Israel said:
OK, because I'm mildly retarded... 50.00 gets me a dinner ticket, t-shirt, and a poker hand that I need to find at one of the cache sites, correct? If I buy extra poker hands, then they are out at other cashes, correct?

Also, since I grew up in a sheltered home, are people allowed to help me come up with poker hands? (give yourself a minute to stop laughing before replying)

you have to go to 5 caches to get a hand. they are placed so you can do this in less than a day. i don't know if you can pull cards for 2 hands from the same cache. as far as anyone helping,,,the cards are sealed so you won't know what you have until the dinner.

if your short on time we will be leading trails for those who don't have a gps and or not much time.

Israel said:
no one can help you get a good poker hand. All the cards are sealed. You get what you get. Luck of the draw sort of thing.

One thing you could do however if you are short on time is pay for whatever hand you get, and then let someone else gather your cards for you. Since they are sealed and no one knows what cards they are getting it really doesn't matter if you are the one who physically picks up the cards or not.

DrMoab said:
no one can help you get a good poker hand. All the cards are sealed. You get what you get. Luck of the draw sort of thing.

One thing you could do however if you are short on time is pay for whatever hand you get, and then let someone else gather your cards for you. Since they are sealed and no one knows what cards they are getting it really doesn't matter if you are the one who physically picks up the cards or not.

What I mean is, I don't know what a good hand is. I know a bunch of numbers in a row is a straight and there is something called a royal flush that is supposed to be good or something. Maybe I'll just give you my cards after I'm allowed to open the packets and let you tell me what I have. Yeah, I'm a retard. :(

Israel said:
What I mean is, I don't know what a good hand is. I know a bunch of numbers in a row is a straight and there is something called a royal flush that is supposed to be good or something. Maybe I'll just give you my cards after I'm allowed to open the packets and let you tell me what I have. Yeah, I'm a retard. :(
Thats what will happen anyway. Saturday afternoon when people start showing up they will give us their sealed cards. We open them, write down their hand and figure out who has the best one. You really don't have to worry about it much.

Back