• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name this sensor?

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
I have swapped a 1998 4.0 into my 1996 4.0 cherokee. There is a plug in my harness which fits a very small plug / sensor on the drivers side of the valve cover at the very rear of the head, right on top. I do not have a plug like this on my 1998 block. I still have the plug on the 1996 block. What the heck is this thing and what do I do about it? It has only one wire and a fairly small plug in a vertical position.

thanks for your continued help

Smallish brass sensor, about a 1/2" hex? Probably a coolant temperature sensor - but I'm not sure that should be on the 1996 head.

There was a port for a coolant temperature sensor for the indicator light/gage on the #2686 and #7120 head, but that was deleted (I'd though) for the #0630 head introduced in 1996. What's the casting number for your head?

That's the coolant temp sensor for the dash guage (versus the one in the thermostat housing for the computer). I think post 1996, the instrument cluster gets the temp from the engine computer via the bus.

Edit: lawsoncl, you beat me by one minute :geek:

The '96 and earlier motors had 2 coolant sensors. The one on the back of the head sent information to the gauge or idiot light only. The one on the front of the head sent information to the computer to help run the motor.

The '97+ motors used only one sensor at the front of the head ... it sent info to the computer and to the gauge.

I don't know how you are going to be able to hook up your '96 dash gauge to the '98 motor.

I'll have to look but you think this is a temp sensor? You are describing it correctly, it's pretty small as sensors go and the plug for it is very small as well.

is is on the block or on the intake manifold i know the one on the manifold is a manifold air temp then there is one on the valve cover and that has to do with the vacume

Thanks guys. Looks like I may have to put in a mechanical gauge to get a good coolant temp reading. I can plug that sensor in but there is no place to put it. At least it won't affect the drivability of the Jeep.

Back