• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting a factory roofrack

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 that didn't come with the factory roof rack. I found a couple really nice chrome ones at the junkyard for $35. Anyone know about the feasability of doing this? I don't just wanna screw into the roof because I really don't want screws going through my headliner.

Thanks.

You need to order new mounting hardware, they're small rubber plugs that just push in and expand when you tighen the screw.

Oh and new gaskets also.

Jeep has improved the insert nut mounting hardware. It is a PVC coated molly style nut/insert now, no rubber. They are far supperior to the old style nuts. They will not pull out under stress or age like the original rubber/brass inserts. I just replaced mine.

However, if you do not have the holes in your roof already I would seriously consider getting different racks that do not require holes in the roof. I have read here that there are several styles and supliers available with better quality and heavier duty racks than the OEM jeep roof racks. The after market ones attach to the roof rain/drip rails (or what ever they are called) and do not require holes in the roof. Also it is very difficult to drill the holes in precisely the correct spots, and they must be drilled in precise spots for the racks to bolt up correctly.

Back