• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally got around to changing my fuel pump

dspilot

NAXJA Forum User
So after ordering it and having it sit in the garage for three months, I finally got it changed.:thumbup: The problems I was having with it were that it squealed like you would not believe. I know that jeeps are noisy to begin with, but this put any other "jeep" noises to shame. Also, after the jeep ran for about an hour, I would start to notice power loss on acceleration (like trying to pass or going up a long hill). The new pump really seems to have fixed these. It certainly isn't as loud anymore.

The entire job took about four hours (really taking my time), including dropping the tank. I would definitely suggest that the tank be removed for this job as the pump assembly has to be turned at least two different ways to come out and go in.

Also, while I had the tank out, I hit a few rusty spots on it with some rattle can action. Oddly enough, it had rusted only on the top of the tank where I would think it is nearly impossible for water to sit.

Definitely a good feeling for a noob who really doesn't have much experience tinkering with cars. It is sooooo satisfying to do this kind of stuff myself. Who knows what the stealership would have charged for this.

my job (Ford stealership) will roughly charge 300 for the time it takes to unbolt and rebolt the tank. once the tech touches the fuel pump the cost goes up even more

I've only paid for a intank fuel pump once and it was in the neighborhood of $400 5 years ago. So you saved at least $300 (-for the part) and that is a few good new toys for the Jeep! Good job!

When I have done XJ fuel pumps I've never had to drop the tank. I could see it making it a little easier to reinstall, but I think dropping the tank would be even more trouble than that, especially up here where everythings rusty.

A fuel pump should take under an hour & only 1/2 hour your 2nd time I would think...
These are on the side of the tank, not the top like GM pumps.
Only problem I've run into is dropping something into the tank & not being able to get my arm in there; my wife helped on that.

I called the stealership today just outta curiosity. 275 bucks for the labor and, get this, 550 some odd bucks for the part. They will only sell the entire assembly. I bought just the actual pump on ebay for 50 bucks......now I just gotta convince my wife to let me spend that money elsewhere.

Back