• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd question

kbradner

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a xj 88 4.5" lift 33" tires. I have the transfer case that has the part time full time 4lo and 2hi. When I shift into 4lo it is saying im in 4 part time. It really doesnt pull like its in 4lo. I more or less feels like its in 4 full time. Can anyone help me out with this, do I need to check my fluid or what do I need to do?

If it is the 242 like mine you will hear the difference as well as see it on the tach. You can feel the difference in the seat of your pants as well.

if its in 4lo youll know the truck winds out(rpms) really fast and at a low speed like 25 or 30 mph plus it will go thru the gears very quickly too. mine says parttime while in 4lo also mine didnt shift properly either check the linkage underneath mine had slipped out of one the mounting points allowing only 4 high if the shifter feels like your not doing anything after the 4 hi position then look at the linkage you should feel resistance when putting it in 4 lo also you gotta be in neutral to shift into 4 lo

Last edited:
Sounds like the linkage needs adjusted. JIM.

Back