• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Embedded Check Engine Light code? Any one help me out?

BuddhaBudz

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so here's the background to my current problem. It's kind of long, so please bear with me:

I had a small evap leak in my 2000 XJ (OBD-II code: P0456) right after I had my inspection done last year. I figured I had time to locate the leak myself, so I checked the fuel lines, filler neck hoses, return hoses, and pretty much everything in between the engine and gas tank as suggested on this site. I replaced the gas cap, that turned off the check engine light for a week, then it came back on. At this point I was sick of trying to find the leak, so I figured I'd worry about it when I was due up for another inspection.

Well, I took my Jeep to a shop that specializes in lifted trucks and Jeeps to try to isolate and fix the leak. They told me it was the purge solenoid canister, so I had it replaced. Two days later the check engine light is back on, and I am back at the mechanic. Supposedly my emissions are fine, and he clears the code. He tells me that it may be possible that the code embedded itself into my computer module given that I drove for almost a year with the light on. He says I need to bring it to a dealership to have the code completed removed from the computer.

I have an appointment Monday at the dealer to have the issue looked into. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this "embedded code" problem, what they had to do to get it fixed, and how much I can expect to pay as a result.

Finally, my check engine light flashed briefly for 3 seconds or so this morning as though my catalytic converted was going to fail, and then stopped. It has never done that before, and it didn't do it again since this morning. Has anyone experienced this as well? Should I not drive my Jeep again until I see a mechanic on Monday?

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can share their stories if they've gone through something like this before.

Its a BS excuse to make up for the fact he was wrong about the purge solenoid. There is no such thing as an embedded code. The light is coming on because you still have a leak somewhere. Have you replaced the gas cap?

I don't understand you comment about the cat converter failing?

lawsoncl said:
Its a BS excuse to make up for the fact he was wrong about the purge solenoid. There is no such thing as an embedded code. The light is coming on because you still have a leak somewhere. Have you replaced the gas cap?

I don't understand you comment about the cat converter failing?
X2. The mechanic who "specializes" in lifted trucks and Jeeps is full of crap.

Codes do not embed themselves in the computer. Save yourself the trip the dealer. I would also agree in changing the gas cap. That's generally the cause for when a code comes up for a small leak. I would think that if it were the purge solenoid, that would have thrown a code for a large leak.

I would also give everything the once over. Look for any hoses that may have popped off, or may have cracks in them.

I just re-read and saw what you had said about the CEL blinking. If it's not blinking at the moment, it's probably still safe to drive. However it sounds like there have been more codes thrown, and more serious ones at that. I would either take it to autozone and get the codes pulled (they do it for free), or invest in a OBD-II scanner. A basic scanner (one that has the ability to clear codes) will run you anywhere from $50-70 depending on where you get it from. I'd highly recommend you get one if not now, in the near future. My scanner is one of the best tools I have for the Jeep, and its cool being able to help my buddys out when their cars have a problem.

Last edited:
99XJSPORT06 said:
X2. The mechanic who "specializes" in lifted trucks and Jeeps is full of crap.

Codes do not embed themselves in the computer. Save yourself the trip the dealer. I would also agree in changing the gas cap. That's generally the cause for when a code comes up for a small leak. I would think that if it were the purge solenoid, that would have thrown a code for a large leak.

I would also give everything the once over. Look for any hoses that may have popped off, or may have cracks in them.

I just re-read and saw what you had said about the CEL blinking. If it's not blinking at the moment, it's probably still safe to drive. However it sounds like there have been more codes thrown, and more serious ones at that. I would either take it to autozone and get the codes pulled (they do it for free), or invest in a OBD-II scanner. A basic scanner (one that has the ability to clear codes) will run you anywhere from $50-70 depending on where you get it from. I'd highly recommend you get one if not now, in the near future. My scanner is one of the best tools I have for the Jeep, and its cool being able to help my buddys out when their cars have a problem.

I replaced the gas cap a while back and it solved the problem for about a week, then the light came back on. I've checked all of the gas hoses and fuel lines for leaks and couldn't find anything. I even inspected everything with one of those small mirrors dentists use so I could check behind the lines and hoses for cracks and leaks.

I didn't have the codes checked out, but I brought my Jeep to the dealer to have them take a look. I hate going to a dealer, but at this point, I'm not sure what to do. As soon as I find out something, I'll be certain to post.

Thanks for the head's up regarding the 'embedded code' issue. This mechanic has been, at least I thought, pretty straight with me. I'll definitely take a look at other mechanics in the future.

Back