• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering is binding on my '89 XJ

89xjgrey

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I have searched the forums and haven't found anything that was quite like I am experiencing. My XJ has a 4.0, NP242, Power Steering, Automatic

Here is the situation. My steering is binding on both left and right turns. From the 12 o'clock position, it will go 1/4 turn in both directions, then bind up for about 1/8 turn, then will free up for about another 1/4 turn. It binds up about 3 times each direction from 12:00 lock to lock. As an elimination process, I replaced the front axle joints, which WERE bad and binding, but that did not fix the issue. While I had it on the lift, with the engine off and the steering wheel unlocked, while turning the tires 'as if checking tie rod end play' it would still bind up...thus probably elimination the possibility of a power steering pump issue. The XJ does have a 3" lift, and my Skyjacker steering damper is relatively new and I am not experiencing any pulsations while driving. Defective gearbox maybe? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

i actually don't think this will help but ill post it anyway. i had a similar problem and i found that when turning, my brake lines were cought between my shocks and that thin piece of metal that mounts between the brake rotor and the knuckle. for some reason i lost all power braking....but anyway....thats the best i can do.

anyone else?

If you were to disconnect the drag-link from the Pitman arm and then try it, does it still bind?
I am seeing a very mild similarity on my Cherry, also have bump-steer and it follows ruts/off-camber downslopes.
I am thinking that I need to get a DPA for mine, and if you get no binding on the lift with the PA disconnected, then you may need one too.

When you replaced the wheel u-joints, were the new ones turning freely before you reinstalled the axles?

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, just trying to help. Every time I've installed a new U-joint, it doesn't seat properly until I tap on the side of the yoke with a hammer to relieve the stress and help it seat properly. If you don't do that, it will bind as you are turning it.

Yes, I definately made sure the u-joints turned freely before re-installing the axles. What you are talking about, tapping the yoke with a happer, is called reverberation...basically shocking the metal, I guess. But yes, u-joints are free and not binding...

Back