• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical question....

MaxxTraxx

NAXJA Forum User
ok, took the headliner out today and in the process of removing the little washers that hold the dome light on I accidentaly touched my tool to the light and a ground and created a spark. Now, I have no power door locks and the radio dosent remember stations. PW and all other electrical stuff still works, just no pl and radio dosent remember station presets. Anyone have any ideas?

I searched and i think this may be my problem (will check tommoro) but I want to hear some others toughts on this....

Here's one thread I found that sounds like it may be my problem
Posted by Aquit45: Well last night i go to lock my jeep on the passeger side i push the botton and my dome light gose dim and the dome light gose out. i replace the dome fuse and go to the driverside and press the lock botton and it works. I dont think its a short because it dose not go out when i use the other side. Has anybody had a simmiler problem. Thanks

Last edited:
first thing is first, check fuses. if no fuse has been blown be prepared to dismantle interior panels to find the open in teh wires :looney:

one trick is to test for continueity at the fuse panel and at the wires by the dome light.

I've already got the interior apart to pull the headliner....i'll check fuses tommoro. Looks like I may have blown the dome light fuse which may explain why my OEM radio dosent remember stations, but I'm still stumped on why my power locks dont work anymore. They worked fine 5 min before this happened.

How do I test for continueity?

MaxxTraxx said:
I've already got the interior apart to pull the headliner....i'll check fuses tommoro. Looks like I may have blown the dome light fuse which may explain why my OEM radio dosent remember stations, but I'm still stumped on why my power locks dont work anymore. They worked fine 5 min before this happened.

How do I test for continueity?

Hey, I had a similar issue on my '92. In my case a wire had its insulation rubbed off and kept shorting out inside the door. But the fuse that blew controlled the radio, dome lights, and power door locks. So it is very likely that yours is all related to the same fuse.

With this happening immediately after shorting a wire, I wouldn't bother too much with continuity testing. Its far more likely you blew a fuse than it is that a wire all of a sudden gets pinched, cut, or frayed right at the same time you happen to be doing electrical work.

Hope this helps -Rob

thanks Rob. Was the fuse a specific dome light fuse in the under hood fuse block?

I have been chasing/replacing heater hoses on my mom's suburban all day and havent had time to play with my vehical. Talk about a fun day off....it's 39F and falling w/ a 15-20mph wind and I have no garage to work in.....

Back