• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joint problem

limegrnxj

NAXJA Forum User
i am in the middle of replacing the ball joints on the xj, and i am having some issues with the new ones. so the original ones had to be pressed in from the top of the knuckle with a ridge to hold it in place. the new ones on the other hand have to be pressed in from the bottom, and they have a snap ring that holds them in place. so i get the new bottom one pressed in, and the knuckle is tapered so the grove for the snap ring only shows half way around the ball joint.

so i am wondering if any body has had this problem and just ended up grinding the knuckle down so it is flat? i cant seem to find the correct ball joint napa and autozones are both the same way, in having to be pressed through the bottom. i am going to call the dealership tomorrow and see what they say.

btw i did a search and didnt come up with this issue.

you are in the correct section......balljoints are not a modification. that's OEM.

parts generally get replaced the way they come out. i've done lots of balljoints on all kinds of different vehicles, and i've never seen a balljoint go in different than it came out.

seems like they gave you the wrong balljoint. and if you actually pressed it in, there might be a chance that you messed up the balljoint hole in the axle "C".

Yup.... sounds like you have the wrong balljoints.

For future reference, post up as much detail as you can about your XJ, it'll help a lot in diagnosis.

Early model D30 front axles used a different style balljoint than later, which is where you are, I think. You've got an early XJ, and got replacement balljoints for a late model. Do a search for MadXJ and balljoints, they've got a good writeup for your particular application.

Here is the address for the MadXJ article which is must reading (at least for me): http://www.madxj.com/ Note that it refers to adjustable joints but procedures are essentially the same for standard ones. He points out that upper joints go in from the top and lower from the bottom.

I happened to have a Quadratec catalog lying here and it does say same joints for 84-01. I wouldn't claim to be an expert on ball joints but have been through the wars trying to find the various brands and never ran into one with a snap ring. In any event it appears you got the wrong part but let us know if you find out different. I sure wouldn't grind any thing down.

I looked the madxj sight and I checked the part number he give’s with the one on Napa’s sight, and that is still the same part number for the ball joint they offer. but the picture shows the same item that I have with the snap ring. I even went to six states and they had the exact same thing. So I looked on the quadratrac sight and they have the same thing as well. so I am thinking that they have changed the design of the ball joint itself. Even with out using the snap ring I don’t see a way that the ball joint will fall out. With the top ball joint being pressed through the top and though bottom pressed through the bottom they will hold each other in place with the knuckle installed. But I still don’t feel comfy with that option till i check all resources. So I am going to go to Napa and just verify that the pics on there sight are correct and check a few other parts stores.

the balljoints are generally pressed in, and also work against each other to keep pressure on them. now if the ball joint is going in to easy, or even by hand then yeah......there is a problem.

I want to post a slight retraction or at least clarification of my previous comment.

Still curious about the snap ring question, I thought to look at a new set of Spicer joints I have. The lower one has the groove as they all do but no ring came with the set. However, I found the left over hardware from an Autozone (McQuay- Norris) set that I installed on my 85 and did find a snap ring laying in its baggie in the bottom of the box. I don't know if I noticed it at the time but in any event wasn't looking for one since no ring was on the old joint. The ring must apply to some other application because as scorpio_vette said, once properly pressed in, these joints are not going to fall out.

I have a question about the AZ set described as "undersized" that doesn't really apply here so will start another thread.

yeah i have done some more research and haven't really come up with anything great. this has to be the right on and they hold each other together once the knuckle is installed. as stated before the snap ring has to be for another application.

Back