• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some advice or help please

idisc0

NAXJA Forum User
Well my recently purchased 91 cherokee is suffering from the dreaded brake light problem that so many people have posted about. my question is, should i just replace the brake booster with an OEM one and let the dealership rape me or should i just go with the OEM upgrade that people wrote about (ie. from a newer model)? if i chose to do the upgrade, would anyone be willing to help in showing me how to do this? i'll gladly provide food and booze. :D

i don't have a problem in getting dirty, it's just i have zero experience with jeeps as this is my first. so if anyone is willing to help, i'll definitely drive on out there and provide whatever booze and grub you would like for compensation of your time.

thanks in advance!

Brake light problem? Or just the brakes suck? I'd be glad to help and if I were replacing the master/booster I would go WJ master/booster/lines. I work in Irvine and live in Costa Mesa. Might even be able to help with parts. Let me know.

After some research are you referring to service bulletin # 05-21-92? For vehicles with Bendix ABS that the brake lights stay on? According to the TSB you add a pedal return spring kit # 4720825. Here's the catch, only 2 are left in the country and it's on phase out. They would be coming from Milwaukee.

wow, how on earth did you find that information? well all i did was take it to the shop and they guessed it was either the brake booster or the master cylinder is faulty. which is why i can still brake, but it is not as its full braking power. (i guess?) then i went onto this site and searched a bit and it seems to have the same problems as some described. like the vacuum sound and if i pump the brakes at full first it goes away but then the light comes back on.

maybe i'm just looking for an excuse to replace it with bigger and better so i don't have to worry about it in the future. lol

but yeah, if you can supply all the parts and we can knock it out in one afternoon or something that'd be great! steak and lobster for you! lol or whatever you want, just let me know. thanks again

idisc0 said:
wow, how on earth did you find that information?

like the vacuum sound and if i pump the brakes at full first it goes away but then the light comes back on.

maybe i'm just looking for an excuse to replace it with bigger and better so i don't have to worry about it in the future. lol

I'm THAT good. :rolleyes: :roflmao:

So the brake warning lamp is coming on? Sounds like a master.

Always upgrade and this would be a good one.

idisc0 said:
wow, how on earth did you find that information?

but yeah, if you can supply all the parts and we can knock it out in one afternoon or something that'd be great! steak and lobster for you! lol or whatever you want, just let me know. thanks again

Since you are new, we can let it slide that you don't know MJR.... :shhh:

But around here, some folks have called him a Jeep god... :worship:

But seriously, Mike is one of, if not, THE BEST! I will let him give you his bio, but he has worked for Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge for a while.

He helps folks all of the time and then doesn't ask much from people, though he needs help sometimes.

As for promising him food, good choice!

Oh one more thing, some folks get jealous of him because he wheels more than he works..... LOL

hmm.... this might be a stupid question but how would one fix a loose steering wheel? lol the thing is, the jeep used to have a lot of problems with steering and driving straight. took it to the shop and the mechanic tightened up whatever he tightened up in regards to the steering column and etc. now the steering wheel does not shake anymore, but i'm guessing it still needs something. i can steer, it's just i get a lot of play with the wheel until it starts to actually turn or do something.

any ideas?

OH, one more thing. i just got my bonus from work so i'm itching to start buying and burning a hole from this jeep. lol steer me in the right direction in armor! i'm already getting the RE 4.5 inch lift kit. so steer me in other directions to help get this project finished before summer. =D

i know the formula that everyone has told me.

tow hooks, armor, tires, lift, and etc. is that about right? if so, i need me some websites and or locations to start the spending. LOL

in mine the joint in the intermediate shaft was loose (aka. I need a new shaft) you could check that.

RE is great, get JKS Gen II sway bar disconnects(the only ones to get), get a heavy duty slip yoke eliminator (SYE) conversion from Advance Adpaters or JB Conversion (assuming you have a 231 Command-Trac transfer case).

JKS has nice rock rails (SuperNerfs). Go with RE's heavy duty track bar setup.

Warning. Do not get any kind of fuel tank skid plate that attaches to the gas tank straps! Ask Andy Steiner. Get RE's stainless brake hoses.

www.rubiconexpress.com
www.jksmfg.com
www.jbconversions.com
www.advanceadapters.com

Boy Mike, you're mighty helpful today. Got the day off?

MJR said:
RE is great, get JKS Gen II sway bar disconnects(the only ones to get), get a heavy duty slip yoke eliminator (SYE) conversion from Advance Adpaters or JB Conversion (assuming you have a 231 Command-Trac transfer case).

JKS has nice rock rails (SuperNerfs). Go with RE's heavy duty track bar setup.

Warning. Do not get any kind of fuel tank skid plate that attaches to the gas tank straps! Ask Andy Steiner. Get RE's stainless brake hoses.

www.rubiconexpress.com
www.jksmfg.com
www.jbconversions.com
www.advanceadapters.com

If you ever get the chance to wheel with Mike take notes and ask questions hes a great guy full of knowledge and has earned the utmost respect from me my wife and numerous friends of ours. Not to mention hes a damn good driver

MJR said:
Brake light problem? Or just the brakes suck? I'd be glad to help and if I were replacing the master/booster I would go WJ master/booster/lines. I work in Irvine and live in Costa Mesa. Might even be able to help with parts. Let me know.

Is there a performance difference in the WJ setup v. the 95/96 XJ setup? From what I gather the set up may be different cause of the rods and spacers but what about the actual performance?

idisc0 said:
OH, one more thing. i just got my bonus from work so i'm itching to start buying and burning a hole from this jeep. lol steer me in the right direction in armor! i'm already getting the RE 4.5 inch lift kit. so steer me in other directions to help get this project finished before summer. =D

i know the formula that everyone has told me.

tow hooks, armor, tires, lift, and etc. is that about right? if so, i need me some websites and or locations to start the spending. LOL

OK, you are going to receive all kinds of options and opinions on this one.

I highly recommend that you come out to the OC meet & greet tomorrow evening, if at all possible.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=906768

This way, you get meet folks and see hwat they have done to their rig. You will learn alot and get see what thing look like installed.

If you can't make it, try to make one of the many that occur. There is usually one in the valley, one in OC, one in the IE area, and a couple in San Diego.

If you are having probelms with the rig, I would not do the lift until those items are fixed, unless it something that the lift will replace/upgrade, such as shocks, springs, brakelines, control arm bushing, etc... Make sure your rig is mechanically safe and sounds, then add to it!

As for armor, you pretty much have the list know you need to search and identify what you want/like.

Armor should include a gas tank skid, t-case skid, rock rails, and maybe diff guards. Mike mentioned Supernerfs. These are awesome, but pricey. Take a look at AJ's Offroad Armor, DPG Offroad, JCR Offroad, and other NAXJA sponsors. Of course, there are others: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/Page 1.htm
http://www.loose-nuts-enterprises.com/newprod.htm (Local guy, Chapter Prez)
www.4x4groupbuy.com
www.rigidco.com
www.detoursusa.com (NAXJA sponsor)
and lots more....

There are tons of linsk, pcs, and choices. You can find alot here on NAXJA in the modified tech discussion area and the picture showcase. You can also see alot of pics at www.xjdb.com

Do you have the RE kit already? If not, look around and talk to the NAXJA spnsors (vendors). Do like Mike said and get teh JKS quicker disconnects. Also, be sure to get good shocks with the kit. Get teh kit with full leaf packs instead of add-a-leafs.

Tow points front and rear - alot of folks replace their bumpers and the tow points are a part of the new set-up. Other folks use either factory tow points or hitch mounts front and rear. (http://www.etrailer.com)

Well, I hope that helps a little. Hope you can make it tomorrow...

karstic said:
Is there a performance difference in the WJ setup v. the 95/96 XJ setup? From what I gather the set up may be different cause of the rods and spacers but what about the actual performance?

I believe so but I haven't done both to figure it out. The WJ fits without having to move the washer bottle or being too close to the air box.

Back