• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any thing for a bone stock XJ at WF?

Chadd

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

We have a bone stock "for the moment" 97, just wondering if there would be anything for us to do at WF? Any of the trails there doable in stock condition with stock size BFG Long Trails? I would also need to get some tow points put on it before then, but thats no biggie.

I am getting ready to order a lift and stuff and it would be nice to see a few modded XJ's to help me make up mind on what all I want to do to it. Besides that it would be nice to get the wife on a few easy trails to get her hooked.

Thanks,
Chadd

I haven't been there yet. this'll be my first trip to Flat Nasty.
I have been to several WF. It is a great opportunity to look at
everyones set up. Ask questions about suspension, lifts, tires, etc.
There are always open seats for passengers.
it'll defitely be worth the trip.

...BOB

There is a network of easy trails that will be fun in your stocker. Ask BoredChimp for an unbiased opinion.

Chadd said:
Hello all,

We have a bone stock "for the moment" 97, just wondering if there would be anything for us to do at WF? Any of the trails there doable in stock condition with stock size BFG Long Trails? I would also need to get some tow points put on it before then, but thats no biggie.

I am getting ready to order a lift and stuff and it would be nice to see a few modded XJ's to help me make up mind on what all I want to do to it. Besides that it would be nice to get the wife on a few easy trails to get her hooked.

Thanks,
Chadd

You are guaranteed to have a good time, and you will make some great friends. If you're not going to make it, at least post up your phone number. We'll call you to tell you what you're missing. :D I encourage you to wheel stock, nothing wrong with that at all. It will make you a better driver, for when you do have a built rig. JMHO.

Caryle is not too awfuly far from me, I pass through every so often.
See here too:http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=906562 it'd be great if you could make it!

Hale

You work at NAL or Hella? I worked at NAL Flora for a few years, I have been back at the Salem plant a while though, been there for around 15yrs total.

I spoke with my better half tonight and it looks like we are going to head down when she gets off work on Friday. Probably won't get there till around 8:30 or so Friday night it looks like we may end up having to stay up in Rolla though as I cant find anything in Salem Mo. We are prolly gonna stay through Sunday Afternoon then head back.

BTW you know of any bone yards in the area that may have a factory tow hook set up and a rear receiver? I hate to spend the money on new stuff because I am planning on new front and rear bumpers this year yet, but definately want to be safe in the mean time.

Chadd said:
You work at NAL or Hella? I worked at NAL Flora for a few years, I have been back at the Salem plant a while though, been there for around 15yrs total.

I spoke with my better half tonight and it looks like we are going to head down when she gets off work on Friday. Probably won't get there till around 8:30 or so Friday night it looks like we may end up having to stay up in Rolla though as I cant find anything in Salem Mo. We are prolly gonna stay through Sunday Afternoon then head back.

BTW you know of any bone yards in the area that may have a factory tow hook set up and a rear receiver? I hate to spend the money on new stuff because I am planning on new front and rear bumpers this year yet, but definately want to be safe in the mean time.
NAL woo hoo. (n) You might know my father-in-law. He's been over there for a long time too. He's a sparktrician in the Maintance Dept.
His name is Tony.

We've got our little "cabin" packed already or I'd offer you a space to sleep. Bone yards in these parts are few and far between, and most want an arm, leg or your first born.
I've *think* I've got a class 2 reciever you can have. If I have it, it's yours. I used it for recovery and it held up fine. No nut strips though. What shift do you work? I might even be able to have it delievered to Salem.:D....if I have it.

Jim, is that reciever that came on my XJ in the parts Jeep?(not the one I got from BOB)

Last edited:
Yep I have known Tony for a long time. I work first shift.

One quick question, Do you think I would be better off with receivers front and rear or tow hooks front and receiver rear? The price difference isn't going to be that much between front hooks or a front receiver. You happen to know if the hidden hitches come with the nutstrips for install?

BTW the bone yards over here are the exact same way. I didn't know what that small one in Flora was like.

Last edited:
Chadd said:
Yep I have known Tony for a long time. I work first shift.

One quick question, Do you think I would be better off with receivers front and rear or tow hooks front and receiver rear? The price difference isn't going to be that much between front hooks or a front receiver. You happen to know if the hidden hitches come with the nutstrips for install?

BTW the bone yards over here are the exact same way. I didn't know what that small one in Flora was like.
Have you tried the JY on Green St. Road? It's not real big, and IIRC, it's right before one of the may S curves. I don't think it's been open very long. If you're looking for a short term solution, I'd go as cheap as possible, but that's my opinoin.

Not sure on the nutstrips but I don't think they do. I think they come with carriage bolts that fit into square washers. You feed them into the frame rail and the square washers keep the bolt from turning inside the frame rail. Hope that makes sense.

Hale

Haleyes said:
Jim, is that reciever that came on my XJ in the parts Jeep?(not the one I got from BOB)

I Think it is. I'll check in the morning & bring it to work if I find it. JIM.

Hale,

I ended up ordering both front and rear receiver hitches and a D-ring insert to use for them.

One thing you may be able to help me out with though. Do you happen to have a full size stock wheel for an XJ? Mine has a donut for a spare and I need a full size wheel to mount my spare to..

Chadd said:
Hale,

I ended up ordering both front and rear receiver hitches and a D-ring insert to use for them.

One thing you may be able to help me out with though. Do you happen to have a full size stock wheel for an XJ? Mine has a donut for a spare and I need a full size wheel to mount my spare to..

Good deal.
I should be able to scrounge something up for you as far as a wheel. It may not be in the prettiest of shape but it'll be round and, pass tech.:D
Hale

Sounds good, let me know when dig one up and what you need for it.

Haleyes said:
Good deal.
I should be able to scrounge something up for you as far as a wheel. It may not be in the prettiest of shape but it'll be round and, pass tech.:D
Hale

Just wondering if you were able to scrounge one up yet? If not I am just gonna go ahead and order a soft 8 from Summit. I was planning on ordering a set this spring sometime anyway, just let me know.

Haleyes said:
Good deal.
Hale

Chadd said:
Just wondering if you were able to scrounge one up yet? If not I am just gonna go ahead and order a soft 8 from Summit. I was planning on ordering a set this spring sometime anyway, just let me know.
PM sent

Chadd said:
if you really need a tire I've got some. I'll bring it if you really need it, but the truck is going to have 1K lbs of junk in it, so I'd rather not.
If you can find something else great, if not I'll bring you 30x9.5 buckshot.

87manche said:
if you really need a tire I've got some. I'll bring it if you really need it, but the truck is going to have 1K lbs of junk in it, so I'd rather not.
If you can find something else great, if not I'll bring you 30x9.5 buckshot.

I think he's good Nate. He just did what any good Jeeper would do.........Order new ones!

checkbook wheeler :)
good that I don't have to find space for that too.
so far in the bed of the MJ will be:
my swampers
a 2.5L and AX-5
AW4-242 combo
set of flares
rollpan
table
camping gear
4 spare d35 shafts
tools
I estimate we'll be right at capacity.

Back