• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case linkage ?

jeepster91

NAXJA Forum User
I'll try and describe this the best I can. I have an np231, and after wheeling last week I had a problem getting into 4hi and 4lo, and even 2hi. Took a look at the linkage and all looks fine. Where I see a problem is that there is a bracket bolted to the unibody(that connects to the linkage), now from that bracket there is a bolt/rod that goes toward the center of the jeep. Now that bolt/rod has a tapered/pointed end that is supposed to go into a hole in a plate, that is bolted to the tranmission or something. Well my tapered/pointed end is not in that hole, and it looks as though everything pivots from that point. It's about a quarter to half inch sort of being about to reach the hole. I'm guessing it probably pulled about because of things getting jarred around while wheeling. I've read plenty of threads about adjusting the linkage but this is something I haven't found info on. Is it a mount or bushing that is worn which caused something to slide inturn pulling this bolt/rod out of place? That's my guess, but I don't know how to fix it. Sorry for the general terms, but I don't know what this thing is called. Any tips or thoughts would help, thanks.

X2 on the tranny AND motor mounts.

I had the same thing happen on my 88 MJ. First time I went wheeling and the darn thing wouldn't shift back into 2wd, crawled under it and found that pivot bar had come out of the plate on the unibody. I unbolted the plate and with somebody wiggling the shift lever, managed to get the pivot bar back into place.

Unless you can visually see which tranny/motor mounts are busted, I would replace all three just to be on the safe side.

Back