• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

one more problem

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
Well this thing is just killing me one problem after another... i dont think our recent cold spell is helping... Heard a weird noise this morning on the way to work (3:00 am) well just got home from work and had a second to check it out... seems like my main fan(not electric aux) is able to spin completly on its own... do I need to remove the rad to get at the mount bolts.. theres alot of grime and I cant seem to see how it mounts up(Im running without a shroud at this point so it is exposed... thanks

xjwisconsin said:
Well this thing is just killing me one problem after another... i dont think our recent cold spell is helping... Heard a weird noise this morning on the way to work (3:00 am) well just got home from work and had a second to check it out... seems like my main fan(not electric aux) is able to spin completly on its own... do I need to remove the rad to get at the mount bolts.. theres alot of grime and I cant seem to see how it mounts up(Im running without a shroud at this point so it is exposed... thanks

When they are cold they do free wheel. It is a fluid clutch that enages, locks up as it gets hot (warmer). Check it for resistance when it is hot, warmed up.

If it is bad, you should be able to replace it with out removing the radiator, especially if the shroud is gone. I have done it even with the shroud on, but it is a pain to get to with the shroud in the way.

You should replace the shroud!

I have changed a couple of rads on the 4L it defo is a pain with shroud in place try removing it first then 3 13mm bolts to remove the fan

thanks... Im on my way to napa right now to get some stuff for the vac/ccv system now so Ill check it when I get home... Just how loose should it be when cold though? when I spin it its kinda wobbly and the actual shaft going into the engine is not spinning(is this bad? or what you were explaining) thanks again. oh and I know I should replace the shroud but with the cold and no access to a garage its a bit of a pain

"when I spin it its kinda wobbly and the actual shaft going into the engine is not spinning(is this bad? or what you were explaining)"

The wobble answer depends on how much wobble. There should be very little wobble, but a tiny amount is normal.

The shaft will not spin unless the engine is running!!!!!!!!, or the belt is off!!!!!!!!

Run the engine until the coolant is up to operating temperature. Then turn the engine off, then hand turn the fan blade. It should be hard to turn at that point. If it free wheels, spins freely when pushed once then it needs to be replaced.

another way to check the fan clutch is to stick a rolled up newspaper in the blades, after it has reached running temp. If it shreds the paper the clutch is most likely good, but if the fan stops it is definately bad.

On another note, the fan shroud is less than $30 from the dealer, however I would wait until spring to replace it.

ecomike... sorry for the ignorance. I just picked up a new clutch and see where my question was retarded. the old clutch is shot and I now see where/ how it mounts.
Also to any one who has helped me on other fixes thanks for the help I am new to this and I do appreciate all that I am learning about my jeep and the info I find/receive here is invaluable. thanks again

Kyle

xjwisconsin said:
ecomike... sorry for the ignorance. I just picked up a new clutch and see where my question was retarded. the old clutch is shot and I now see where/ how it mounts.
Also to any one who has helped me on other fixes thanks for the help I am new to this and I do appreciate all that I am learning about my jeep and the info I find/receive here is invaluable. thanks again

Kyle

The only retarded questions are the ones we wish we had asked :shiver: and did not!!!!

I think many of us here are new and learning from each other. I just started here about 3 months ago myself. Just wish I had found this site 3 years ago!!!!!

Back