• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Issues...

black2door

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I posted about this a while back. After I started having the problem my 30 day insurance I got when I bought it expired and since Im 15 we're waiting to insure it. So all I do now is drive around the block from time to time. Okay to the point, when I'm driving down the road and go to downshift into 1st (going maybe 5-10mph) it sort of resists, and kind of pushes back. It doesnt grind, it just resists and kind of vibrates. Ive come up with stuff like fluid, clutch, shift fork, throwout, from other forums and friends, or could it be worse?? What should I try?? Anyone else have this happen? Anything is appreciated, I just need an idea of what to maybe replace. THANKS................................. P.S. This was probably the most confusing thing you have ever read...sorry :worship:

black2door said:
Hi, I posted about this a while back. After I started having the problem my 30 day insurance I got when I bought it expired and since Im 15 we're waiting to insure it. So all I do now is drive around the block from time to time. Okay to the point, when I'm driving down the road and go to downshift into 1st (going maybe 5-10mph) it sort of resists, and kind of pushes back. It doesnt grind, it just resists and kind of vibrates. Ive come up with stuff like fluid, clutch, shift fork, throwout, from other forums and friends, or could it be worse?? What should I try?? Anyone else have this happen? Anything is appreciated, I just need an idea of what to maybe replace. THANKS................................. P.S. This was probably the most confusing thing you have ever read...sorry :worship:

Only in first gear? If you can shift both ways into other forward gears, it's probably not a problem. Many synchronised transmissions (like the AX-15,) simply refuse to allow shifting into first unless you're stopped - or close to it - and I don't know why they did that offhand. Probably some "safety reason," due to someone else not knowing what the Hell they're doing (like all the other "safety features" we're saddled with...)

Yeah my tranny is the same way unless im going REALLY slow like almost stopped i cant go into first. It resists the same way. I just down shift to 2nd and use the brakes from there. Mine did that before i rebuilt and does it after... Dont worry about it.
-Allen

Last edited:
You are trying to get first gear to sink up. Your engine RPM are to low for a simple drop in at that speed. Like stated before just use second gear to slow down your jeep.
Welcome to the lost art of down shifting. When done right it is safe and may extend the life of your brakes many times over. Without damaging your engine or clutch.
But like driving in general it needs a little practice to be good at it. Luck and see you on the trails.

I've never had a car that didn't resist 1st gear at over 10mph or so.

A lot of people claim that Redline MT-90 will get gunk off the AX-15's syncros and improve shifting because it's a GL-4 oil and not a GL-5 oil. I have yet to try it myself but it's probably worth a try. Mine does the same when trying to down shift into 1st or 2nd, it even resists when I try to shift from first to second. I've noticed that wrapping up the engine does help somewhat so that the collar and the next gear are rotating at the same speed. Here's a neat explanation of how it all works
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission2.htm

1st to second upshifts are notoriously hard with this trans, especially when it's 3* out.
Sometimes I just skip second when it's cold, because I have to pull so hard I feel like I'm going to break something.

87manche said:
1st to second upshifts are notoriously hard with this trans, especially when it's 3* out.
Sometimes I just skip second when it's cold, because I have to pull so hard I feel like I'm going to break something.

Mine did that when I tried cheap GL4 for a week. Went to Redline MTL and it shifted fine down to -15*F.

normal operation, when i got my first stick i thought the same thing and took it to the dealer and they told me it was fine. its even like that on my cavalier.

I would definately stop forcing it. Every stick that I have every driven does not want to go into first gear unless you are almost totally stopped or rev up the engine. I say you don't want to force it because you are putting a lot of stress on the syncros and will wear then out, cause you to just grind grears when changing. Have you noticed that when you down shift from the upper gears it doesn't alway go right in. After a second or two the sycros get the two gears running at the right speed for the gears to catch each other instead of just grinding. I killed the sycros in my old cj. After that I got nothing but gear grinding when down shifting unless the rpms where at the right spot. Some trucks you can hear them wind up, like on my 89 250 diesel.

Back