• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling fan disintegrated!

Stew78429

NAXJA Forum User
My cooling fan (not the one on the belts, the plastic one) broke apart this weekend, so I disconnected it electrically until I can get a new one. I have always run at about 210 degrees, and even with the fan disconnected it only runs slightly hotter sometimes.
It has never gone over 10 degrees hotter even in city traffic. Can I wait awhile to get a new fan ($285.00 installed at the stealer) or am I endangering some components by waiting?

Thanks,

Stew

Buy one and install it yourself. It is a fairly straight forward install and you'll save a bundle. Is it hot where you are? Did you say you drive to and from work in traffic? Do it as soon as possible if so.

Why are you paying the stealer for the instal? Its two screws and a plug. Its a little snug getting it in and out, but its a super easy job. I would even look around for a used fan, either here on the boards or maybe even at a pick-n-pull. If you have and older XJ, I would also look for one of the newer model fans. I don't know the exact year they switched designs but it was sometime in the early 90's. Driving around without a fan isn't the greatest of ideas being that even with everything working, the XJs cooling system is less than perfect. I hope this helps.

There are several of those fans on E-bay for dirt cheap. It's a 10 minute job to replace it. Heck, I'd do it for you for the $285 and buy you dinner afterwards!:D

Yes, it is an easy thing to change, this is a good first project for any owner of a Cherokee. When you loosen the two bolts holding the fan in place there are some stamped sheetmetal pieces which clip onto the radiator upper panel. Make sure you don't drop these, they are very small and hard to find. Don't ask me how I know about this :)

I am not sure what year XJ you have but quadratec sells new ones. Here is the page: http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sg...3&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&FNM=13&UID=2003081911334649

From 87 to the mid 90s the blades of the fan were straight. Sometime in the 90s they went to a swept blade design.

I am not sure what the dealer charges but my quick look shows "new" ones run $80 to $100. A company called Crown was AMCs supplier for a lot of XJ components.

If youre interested I have the one I yanked out of my 91 a few years back, upgraded to the better one with the curved blades. I kept this one as a spare and its the kind with the straight blades, however it works just fine and is in prefect shape, it never ran hot with it, I just wanted to upgrade.

Email me if you are interested at [email protected]

Back